About This Chapter
Waste Generation & Management - Chapter Summary
This chapter includes lessons on waste generation and management. By reviewing this chapter, you can get a better understanding of how extreme heat is used to dispose of waste. You can also go over municipal and non-municipal waste. After completing the chapter, you should feel confident and ready to:
- Recall the amount of waste disposed of annually
- Discuss the composting process
- Explain why hazardous waste is dangerous
- Detail issues with mass burn incinerators
- List methods used for safe waste disposal
Each lesson is concise and only takes about five minutes to complete. You can filter the course list and just study the topics that you need. A brief quiz is available for each lesson to test your knowledge.
1. Types of Solid Waste: Municipal Vs. Non-Municipal
Waste comes in many different forms. This lesson explores municipal and non-municipal waste, the two main types of solid waste. We'll also delve into who creates waste and the amount of waste disposed of each year.
2. What Is Composting? - Definition and Examples
In this lesson, we will explore the unique method of waste disposal where items are encouraged to rot. We will investigate the composting process, the benefits of composting, and examples of different types.
3. What Is Hazardous Waste? - Definition and Types
Not all waste is something to throw in the trash and forget about. In this lesson, we will explore hazardous waste and what makes it dangerous. We will also investigate disposal methods and types of hazardous waste.
4. Mass Burn Incinerators: Definition and Issues
In this lesson, we will explore the process of using extreme heat to dispose of waste. We will also investigate the issues associated with this method of waste management.
5. Safe Waste Disposal & Treatment Methods
This lesson will give you an insight into some of the ways in which waste can be safely disposed of and treated. You'll learn the concepts of segregation, drainage, and the basics of how sewage treatment plants work.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ICSE Biology: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Microscopes Basics & Techniques
- Cell Structure Overview
- The Cell Cycle, Mitosis & Meiosis
- Basic Genetics Concepts
- Plant & Animal Biotechnology
- The Five Kingdoms of Living Organisms
- Plant Absorption & Transpiration
- Plant Respiration & Gas Exchange
- Plant Photosynthesis Processes
- Structure & Function of Flowering Plants
- Plant Pollination & Fertilization
- Animal Tissue: Structure & Function
- Macromolecules in Nutrition
- Digestive System Structure & Function
- Skeletal System Overview
- Structure & Function of Skin
- Respiratory System Overview
- Circulatory System Structure & Function
- Excretory System Overview
- Basics of the Nervous System
- Endocrine System Overview
- Human Reproduction & Development Basics
- Health Promotion & Disease Prevention
- Pathogenic Diseases in India
- Biotic & Abiotic Factors
- Population Growth & Control in India
- Types & Impact of Pollution
- ICSE Biology Flashcards