About This Chapter
Waste Management in India - Chapter Summary
These engaging lessons outline the waste management processes being currently used in India as well as the conservation and restoration efforts in place. Additional topics include the three R's, reduce, reuse and recycle, that are used to decrease the amount of solid waste consumers make and throw away. Lessons also cover hazardous waste, which requires special disposal methods in order to keep the environment safe. Once you work through this chapter, you should be able to:
- Differentiate between municipal and non-municipal waste
- Describe how wastewater is treated and how drinking water is purified
- Outline some of the methods used to dispose of waste
- Give examples of some of the restoration projects currently in place in India
Prepare for a test easily with our comprehensive study tools. All of these lessons are accompanied by a quiz that you can use to test your understanding and see where you may need to review certain topics further. If you like to work offline, our printable transcripts make it easy to create handy guides you can take anywhere. Otherwise, use your tablet, mobile phone or computer to review these lessons 24 hours a day.
1. Types of Solid Waste: Municipal Vs. Non-Municipal
Waste comes in many different forms. This lesson explores municipal and non-municipal waste, the two main types of solid waste. We'll also delve into who creates waste and the amount of waste disposed of each year.
2. The 3 Rs of Reducing Solid Waste: Reuse, Reduce & Recycle
Reduce, reuse, recycle! In this lesson, we will explore the three Rs of reducing solid waste. We will also investigate examples of each of the three Rs, and how people can do their part to help reduce solid waste.
3. Water Treatment: Improving Water Quality
In this lesson, you will learn how water is purified for drinking, and how wastewater is treated before being put back into the environment. You will also learn about water purification issues in developing countries.
4. What Is Hazardous Waste? - Definition and Types
Not all waste is something to throw in the trash and forget about. In this lesson, we will explore hazardous waste and what makes it dangerous. We will also investigate disposal methods and types of hazardous waste.
5. Safe Waste Disposal & Treatment Methods
This lesson will give you an insight into some of the ways in which waste can be safely disposed of and treated. You'll learn the concepts of segregation, drainage, and the basics of how sewage treatment plants work.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ICSE Commercial Studies: Study Guide & Syllabus course
- Commercial Organization in India
- Functions of a Commercial Organization
- Communication in a Commercial Organization
- Accounting & Bookkeeping
- Banking in India
- Home & International Trade
- Pollution & Business
- Stakeholders in Commercial Organizations
- Business Marketing in India
- Human Resources in India
- Logistics & Insurance in Business
- ICSE Commercial Studies Flashcards