About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Water as a Nutrient chapter into a 4-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Water properties||Structure and composition of water|
|Tuesday||Nutritional role of water||How bodies use water, average daily needs and overall importance|
|Wednesday||Water intake||Balance of input and output levels|
|Thursday||Dehydration||Health and safety concerns related to water intake|
1. Dehydration & Other Concerns of Water Intake in the Body
Dehydration can be a serious, even fatal, condition. For the most part, we have control over how much fluid we consume and how much we exercise, which allows us to reduce and even eliminate most of the causes of dehydration. There are a few causes, however, that we have very little control over. Find out more in this lesson.
2. Properties of Water
Why does ice float? Why can water rise on its own against gravity in a small tube? Find out how these mysterious properties of water can be explained by hydrogen bonds.
3. Water Balance in the Body: Healthy Intake & Output
Keeping our bodies hydrated is essential for physical and mental performance. Without it, we will suffer from brain fog, make poor decisions, and even be unable to perform simple physical tasks. Learn more about water balance in the body in this lesson.
4. Water's Role as a Nutrient: Importance & Dietary Need
Water is an important thing for the entire world and the world inside your body. This lesson will point out why it's important for you and how much you need on a daily basis.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Nutrition 101 Curriculum Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Introduction to Nutrition Lesson Plans
- Healthy Diet Planning Lesson Plans
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition Lesson Plans
- Lipids in Nutrition: Lesson Plans
- Protein's Role in Nutrition: Lesson Plans
- Minerals in Nutrition: Lesson Plans
- Symptoms of Mineral Deficiency & Toxicity: Lesson Plans
- How Vitamins Support Nutrition: Lesson Plans
- Gastrointestinal Anatomy and Digestion Lesson Plans
- Nutrient Digestion, Absorption & Transport: Lesson Plans
- Biochemistry for Nutrition Lesson Plans
- Cell Anatomy & Metabolism Lesson Plans
- Excretion - Urination & Sweat: Lesson Plans
- Weight Management & Energy Needs: Lesson Plans
- Eating Disorders & Nutrition Risks Lesson Plans
- Physical Fitness & Nutrition: Lesson Plans