About This Chapter
Wave-Particle Duality & Quantum Mechanics - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, the photoelectric effect and the equation associated with it are defined. You will also study the kinetic energy of photoelectrons and the variation in photoelectron emissions. A definition of quantum physics, also called quantum mechanics, is given, along with the important topics and theories associated with this study of physics.
Wave-particle duality will be discussed at length, as well as its applications and calculations using the de-Broglie wavelength equation. You will learn the definition of a photon and how to use equations to measure the momentum and energy of a photon of light. The definition of atomic spectrum will be presented, along with one of the core concepts of quantum mechanics, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. After you have reviewed these lessons, you should be able to:
- Explain the photoelectric effect, its applications and its equation
- Understand the concepts of threshold frequency and work function
- Discuss the theories surrounding quantum physics
- Solve simple calculations using the de-Broglie wavelength equation
- Describe Planck's constant and how it relates to photon wavelength and energy
- Use the equations for the energy and momentum of a photon of light to solve problems
- Differentiate between absorption and emission spectra
- Define the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and its scientific implications
Our lessons and quizzes are designed by professional instructors to ensure your learning experience is interesting and fun. Use the quizzes to gauge how well you've understood the topics presented in the video. If you'd like to review just one portion of a video, use the video tabs feature in the Timeline to skip to the information you'd like to re-watch. If you need assistance as you work through the lessons, contact one of our instructors for help.
1. The Photoelectric Effect: Definition, History, Application & Equation
In this lesson, you will learn what the photoelectric effect is, how it was discovered, how it applies to everyday life, and the equation associated with it. A short quiz will follow.
2. Kinetic Energy of Photoelectrons
Shining a light on a metal ejects electrons from the metal giving the electrons a specific kinetic energy. This lesson will explore how this kinetic energy varies based on the material the light is shining on, and light source itself.
3. Quantum Physics: Definition, Theories & Topics
While exploring this lesson, you will learn what quantum physics, otherwise known as quantum mechanics, is, examine some of its theories and topics, and discover the weird consequences that go along with it. A short quiz will follow.
4. Wave-Particle Duality: Concept, Explanation & Examples
Is light a particle with mass and substance? Or, is it just a wave traveling through space? Most scientists say light is both a particle and a wave! Find out how they came to this strange conclusion as we learn about the theory of wave-particle duality.
5. The Wave Nature of Matter
After watching this video, you will be able to explain the concept of wave-particle duality, give an example of an application of wave-particle duality, and complete simple calculations using the de-Broglie wavelength equation. A short quiz will follow.
6. What is a Photon? - Definition, Energy & Wavelength
In this lesson, we will learn the definition of a photon. We will also explain Planck's constant and its relationship to the photon energy and wavelength. The calculation of photon energy is also demonstrated.
7. Energy & Momentum of a Photon: Equation & Calculations
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what wave-particle duality is, provide the equations for the energy and momentum of a photon of light, and use those equations to solve problems. A short quiz will follow.
8. Atomic Spectrum: Definition, Absorption & Emission
In this lesson, we'll discuss the meaning of the term 'atomic spectrum' and distinguish between the two main types of atomic spectra: absorption and emission spectra. We'll also describe how each forms.
9. Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle: Definition & Equation
The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is one of the core concepts in quantum mechanics. In this lesson, we define the uncertainty principle and learn more about its implications for physical science.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the VCE Physics: Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- Overview of Thermodynamics
- Thermodynamics & Climatology
- Energy Conservation & Efficiency
- Modeling Electricity
- Circuit Electricity
- Electronic Device Use & Safety
- Electricity Generation & Transmission
- Origins of the Universe
- Subatomic Particles in the Nucleus
- Atomic Energy
- Modeling Motion
- Force & Motion in Physics
- Energy & Motion in Physics
- Laws of Motion Applied Problem Solving
- The Theory of Relativity
- Interactions of Fields in Physics
- Effects of Fields in Physics
- Applications of Fields in Physics
- Properties of Mechanical Waves
- Light as an Electromagnetic Wave
- Conducting a Scientific Investigation
- Scientific Investigation for the VCE Physics Exam
- VCE Physics Flashcards