About This Chapter
Weather, Air Masses & Storms - Chapter Summary
If you've lived long enough, you've probably experienced your fair share of extreme weather, including severe thunderstorms and tornadoes. But do you know the factors that contribute to these extreme events? This chapter takes a close look at weather, air masses and storms to help you better understand the basics of weather and how it can shift from quiet conditions to more dangerous weather events.
The lessons were carefully prepared by expert instructors with a wealth of earth science knowledge. Review them at your leisure from your smartphone, computer or tablet, then test your knowledge by taking short quizzes and a chapter exam. Upon completion of this chapter, you will understand the following:
- Differences between weather and climate
- Air pressure, temperature and other weather variables
- Atmosphere's general circulation and types of weather fronts
- Air mass types and how they affect weather
- Causes of tornadoes and the Enhanced Fujita scale
- Types and formation of thunderstorms
- Causes and effects of cyclones
1. Weather vs. Climate: Definition, Differences & Effects
This video lesson will guide you in understanding the difference between climate and weather. Discover how they are different but related and how they are the ways you can describe atmospheric conditions on Earth.
2. Weather Variables: Air Pressure, Temperature & Density
Weather is influenced by a number of factors. In this lesson, you will learn about three key variables that control weather and how they work together to do so.
3. The General Circulation of the Atmosphere
The Sahara Desert, tropical rainforests, and cold polar winds are all due to Earth's rotation. In this video lesson, you will learn how this rotation has created global air circulation patterns on Earth and how it is responsible for such diverse climate patterns across the globe.
4. Types of Air Masses & Their Effect on Weather
Air masses affect weather in a number of different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of air masses found on Earth and how the movement of air masses creates changes in the weather.
5. Understanding Weather Fronts: Types & Their Effect on Weather
In this video lesson you will learn about how air masses with different characteristics create weather fronts. You will also identify the different types of fronts, as well as what type of weather occurs along them.
6. What Are Tornadoes? - Definition, Causes & The Enhanced Fujita Scale
Tornadoes are dangerous storms that affect millions of people. In this video lesson, you will learn how and where they form, as well as how scientists classify tornadoes using the Enhanced Fujita Scale.
7. What Are Thunderstorms? - Definition, Types & Formation
Thunderstorms are common all over the world. In this video lesson, you will learn what they are, how they form and how they create thunder and lightning.
8. What Are Cyclones? - Types, Causes & Effects
The word cyclone refers to many different types of storms. In this video lesson you will learn about how cyclones form, what makes each type different, and what their effects are on both people and the environment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Earth Science 101: Earth Science course
- Earth Science Basics
- Geologic Time
- Characteristics of Matter
- Earth's Spheres and Internal Structure
- Plate Tectonics
- Minerals and Rocks
- Igneous Rocks
- Volcanic Landforms
- Weathering and Erosion
- Sedimentary Rocks: A Deeper Look
- Metamorphic Rocks: A Deeper Look
- Rock Deformation and Mountain Building
- Water Balance on Earth
- Running Water
- Ground Water
- Coastal Hazards
- Earth's Atmosphere
- Earth History
- Energy Resources
- Studying for Earth Science 101