About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your weather and storms homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your weather and storms homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- Weather and climate
- Factors that affect the wind
- Weather variables
- General circulation of the atmosphere
- Types of air masses
- Types of weather fronts
- Causes of floods
- The relationship between El Nino and La Nina
1. Weather vs. Climate: Definition, Differences & Effects
This video lesson will guide you in understanding the difference between climate and weather. Discover how they are different but related and how they are the ways you can describe atmospheric conditions on Earth.
2. Factors That Affect Wind: Pressure Gradient Forces, Coriolis Effect & Friction
In this video lesson, you will learn about wind and some factors that affect it, such as air temperature and pressure, the Coriolis effect, and friction. By the end of this lesson, you will also understand how Earth's rotation plays a role in how winds travel.
3. Weather Variables: Air Pressure, Temperature & Density
Weather is influenced by a number of factors. In this lesson, you will learn about three key variables that control weather and how they work together to do so.
4. The General Circulation of the Atmosphere
The Sahara Desert, tropical rainforests, and cold polar winds are all due to Earth's rotation. In this video lesson, you will learn how this rotation has created global air circulation patterns on Earth and how it is responsible for such diverse climate patterns across the globe.
5. Types of Air Masses & Their Effect on Weather
Air masses affect weather in a number of different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of air masses found on Earth and how the movement of air masses creates changes in the weather.
6. Understanding Weather Fronts: Types & Their Effect on Weather
In this video lesson you will learn about how air masses with different characteristics create weather fronts. You will also identify the different types of fronts, as well as what type of weather occurs along them.
7. What Are Tornadoes? - Definition, Causes & The Enhanced Fujita Scale
Tornadoes are dangerous storms that affect millions of people. In this video lesson, you will learn how and where they form, as well as how scientists classify tornadoes using the Enhanced Fujita Scale.
8. What Are Thunderstorms? - Definition, Types & Formation
Thunderstorms are common all over the world. In this video lesson, you will learn what they are, how they form and how they create thunder and lightning.
9. What Are Cyclones? - Types, Causes & Effects
The word cyclone refers to many different types of storms. In this video lesson you will learn about how cyclones form, what makes each type different, and what their effects are on both people and the environment.
10. Hurricanes: Types, Formation, Causes & Effects
Hurricanes are dangerous storms that affect millions of people each year. But what are hurricanes and how do they form? In this video lesson you'll learn about where and how hurricanes develop as well as the types of hurricanes that are possible.
11. The Relationship Between El Nino & La Nina
In this video lesson, you will learn about El Niño and La Niña. You will understand the differences between them, as well as some of their effects on both ocean waters and weather patterns on land.
12. What Are Floods? - Causes, Types & Prevention
In this video lesson, you will study floods, their causes and their effects. You will learn to identify various methods that are used to prevent floods and explore how preventing natural flood cycles can lead to dangerous flood events.
13. Weather: Definition & Types
Talk about weather is everywhere: on the news, in the papers, and in almost every conversation. What causes it all, though? In this lesson, we will define weather, take a look at the different types, and learn what causes weather changes to take place.
14. What is Fog? - Definition, Types & Causes
In this lesson, we'll talk about fog - what it is and why it happens. Fog comes in many types, and here we'll cover the definition of each and how they are formed.
15. Creating Energy from Solar, Wind, and Water Sources
Much of what we do requires an energy supply. But where does this energy come from? Often we get it from natural sources, such as wind, water, and sunlight, and in this lesson, you'll learn how these can be converted to electricity for our everyday use.
16. The Scientific Field of Meteorology
Thanks to meteorologists, we can plan for both short- and long-term weather events that affect our daily lives. But meteorology has been around a lot longer than the daily news, and this scientific field helps us better understand the world around us in a many ways.
17. Climate Zone: Definition & Types
Have you ever wondered what living in a tropical rainforest or even a desert would be like? In this lesson, we'll learn about the five different types of climates, including characteristics and where they are found on Earth.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Earth Science: Homework Help Resource course
- Earth Science Basics: Homework Help
- Geologic Time and Earth Science: Homework Help
- Properties of Matter: Homework Help
- Earth's Spheres and Internal Structure: Homework Help
- Plate Tectonics: Homework Help
- Minerals and Rocks: Homework Help
- Igneous Rocks: Homework Help
- Volcanoes: Homework Help
- Weathering and Erosion: Homework Help
- Sedimentary Rocks - A Deeper Look: Homework Help
- Metamorphic Rocks - A Deeper Look: Homework Help
- Rock Deformation and Mountain Building: Homework Help
- Water Balance: Homework Help
- Running Water: Homework Help
- Ground Water: Homework Help
- Glaciers: Homework Help
- Oceans: Homework Help
- Coastal Hazards: Homework Help
- The Atmosphere: Homework Help
- Earthquakes: Homework Help
- Earth History: Homework Help
- Energy Resources: Homework Help
- Physical Geography Concepts & Earth's Physical Features