About This Chapter
Weather Forecasting & Analysis - Chapter Summary
With this chapter, you'll get to refresh your memory on the common weather forecast procedures practiced by meteorologists. You will also come across a discussion within the lessons that highlights how weather forecasts can be verified for accuracy. By the time you finish this chapter, you should be comfortable talking about:
- Various weather forecasting methods
- The use of satellite technology in forecasting
- Weather forecast assessment
A single video lesson can be completed within roughly 5 to 10 minutes of your time. To easily backtrack in any of these lessons, there are handy video tags you can use. You'll also find that there's a practice quiz matched up with each lesson so that you can leave this chapter confident that you know the material.
1. Identifying & Describing Weather Forecasting Methods & Types
Humans have been trying to predict the weather for a very, very long time. So, what methods have we come up with? In this lesson, we'll look at four different methods of weather forecasting and see how each is used to predict the future.
2. Weather Forecast Procedures and Products
There are many ways to forecast weather, depending on how far into the future you're looking. In this lesson we'll explore three major forecasting procedures and see how they're applied.
3. Weather Forecast Assessment & Verification
Weather forecasting is a difficult science, and like all sciences we want to test the accuracy and reliability of our techniques. So, we need to verify our results. In this lesson we will examine basic methods of forecast verification.
4. Methods & Principles of Weather Forecasting
Knowing what the weather is going to be like is very helpful. But how do we know? Learn what methods and principles do meteorologists use to forecast the weather. Take a quiz to see what you know
5. Types of Weather Maps & Images
Ever think that weather forecasters just make up their predictions? While they don't always get it right, weather forecasters have a great deal of information at their disposal, as this lesson demonstrates.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Earth Science (008): Practice and Study Guide course
- Foundations of Scientific Inquiry
- Earth's Spheres & Internal Structure
- The Earth and Sky
- The Moon
- The Sun's Structure, Energy and Cycle
- The Orbits of Celestial Bodies
- Newton's Laws of Motion and Gravitation
- Star Types & Significance
- Measuring the Characteristics of Stars
- Layout, Formation and Dating of the Solar System
- Characteristics of Our Solar System's Planets
- The Milky Way Galaxy
- Key Theories of the Universe
- The Atmospheric Cycle
- Solar Radiation and Energy
- Atmospheric Moisture and Effects on Precipitation
- Air Distribution & Movement
- Weather Conditions and Disturbances
- Causes and Effects of Climate Change
- Minerals & Rocks
- Earth's Tectonic Plates
- Weathering & Erosion
- Geologic Time & Dating
- Water Cycle & Balance
- Flowing Water
- Ground Water Systems
- Oceans & Shorelines
- Basics of Coastal Hazards
- NYSTCE Earth Science Flashcards