About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the Weather and Storms chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Weather and climate|
|Differences in weather and climate, how they are related|
Convection current, the Coriolis effect, pressure gradient force
|Tuesday|| Air pressure, temperature and density|
Circulation of the atmosphere
|Adiabatic processes, the windward side, air masses, fronts, downdrafts|
The doldrums, the Hadley cell, westerlies, polar easterlies
|Types of air masses, such as continental air mass, tropical air mass, Arctic air mass, and their effect on the weather|
Types of fronts, such as cold front, warm front, stationary front, occluded front, and their effect on the weather
|Definition and causes of tornadoes, downdraft, updraft|
Definition and causes of thunderstorms, storm cell, anvil head cloud
Definition, causes and types of cyclones, including tropical cyclones, mesocyclines, storm cells
El Nino and La Nina
|Definition and causes of hurricanes, tropical storms and tropical depressions|
Differences in El Nino and La Nina and their relationship, ENSO cycle, Kelvin waves
Flash floods, storm surges, dams, flood prevention
1. Weather vs. Climate: Definition, Differences & Effects
This video lesson will guide you in understanding the difference between climate and weather. Discover how they are different but related and how they are the ways you can describe atmospheric conditions on Earth.
2. Factors That Affect Wind: Pressure Gradient Forces, Coriolis Effect & Friction
In this video lesson, you will learn about wind and some factors that affect it, such as air temperature and pressure, the Coriolis effect, and friction. By the end of this lesson, you will also understand how Earth's rotation plays a role in how winds travel.
3. Weather Variables: Air Pressure, Temperature & Density
Weather is influenced by a number of factors. In this lesson, you will learn about three key variables that control weather and how they work together to do so.
4. The General Circulation of the Atmosphere
The Sahara Desert, tropical rainforests, and cold polar winds are all due to Earth's rotation. In this video lesson, you will learn how this rotation has created global air circulation patterns on Earth and how it is responsible for such diverse climate patterns across the globe.
5. Types of Air Masses & Their Effect on Weather
Air masses affect weather in a number of different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of air masses found on Earth and how the movement of air masses creates changes in the weather.
6. Understanding Weather Fronts: Types & Their Effect on Weather
In this video lesson you will learn about how air masses with different characteristics create weather fronts. You will also identify the different types of fronts, as well as what type of weather occurs along them.
7. What Are Tornadoes? - Definition, Causes & The Enhanced Fujita Scale
Tornadoes are dangerous storms that affect millions of people. In this video lesson, you will learn how and where they form, as well as how scientists classify tornadoes using the Enhanced Fujita Scale.
8. What Are Thunderstorms? - Definition, Types & Formation
Thunderstorms are common all over the world. In this video lesson, you will learn what they are, how they form and how they create thunder and lightning.
9. What Are Cyclones? - Types, Causes & Effects
The word cyclone refers to many different types of storms. In this video lesson you will learn about how cyclones form, what makes each type different, and what their effects are on both people and the environment.
10. Hurricanes: Types, Formation, Causes & Effects
Hurricanes are dangerous storms that affect millions of people each year. But what are hurricanes and how do they form? In this video lesson you'll learn about where and how hurricanes develop as well as the types of hurricanes that are possible.
11. The Relationship Between El Nino & La Nina
In this video lesson, you will learn about El Niño and La Niña. You will understand the differences between them, as well as some of their effects on both ocean waters and weather patterns on land.
12. What Are Floods? - Causes, Types & Prevention
In this video lesson, you will study floods, their causes and their effects. You will learn to identify various methods that are used to prevent floods and explore how preventing natural flood cycles can lead to dangerous flood events.
13. Weather: Definition & Types
Talk about weather is everywhere: on the news, in the papers, and in almost every conversation. What causes it all, though? In this lesson, we will define weather, take a look at the different types, and learn what causes weather changes to take place.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP Environmental Science Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Introduction to Environmental Science Lesson Plans
- Geological Dating Lesson Plans
- Continental Drift Lesson Plans
- Earthquake Components Lesson Plans
- Volcano Types Lesson Plans
- The Atmosphere Lesson Plans
- Water Cycle Lesson Plans
- Running Water Types Lesson Plans
- Groundwater System Lesson Plans
- Glaciers Processes Lesson Plans
- Ocean Characteristics Lesson Plans
- Water Conversion Lesson Plans
- Minerals, Rocks & Soil Lesson Plans
- Ecosystems Lesson Plans
- Organism Interactions Lesson Plans
- Evolving Ecosystems Lesson Plans
- Biological Science Lesson Plans
- Human Population Lesson Plans
- Food & Agricultural Resources Lesson Plans
- Land Use Lesson Plans
- Mining & Fishing Lesson Plans
- Energy Concepts Lesson Plans
- Renewable Resource Types Lesson Plans
- Nonrenewable Resource Types Lesson Plans
- Solid & Hazardous Waste Lesson Plans
- Human Environmental Impact Lesson Plans
- Environmental Sustainability Concepts Lesson Plans
- Analyzing Environmental Risk Lesson Plans
- Global Environmental Economics Lesson Plans
- Environmental Politics Lesson Plans