About This Chapter
WEST Math: Conic Sections - Chapter Summary
The WEST Math exam includes numerous questions that test your coordinate and transformational geometry knowledge, including your understanding of conic sections. In this chapter, we touch on the following topics:
- The definition of an ellipse
- Finding the equation of a hyperbola
- Deriving the equation of an ellipse from the foci
- Finding the equation of a parabola from the focus and directrix
Our fun, engaging video and text lessons are crafted by expert math instructors, and the video lessons are only 5-10 minutes long. Each lesson is jam-packed with helpful examples of problems and step-by-step solutions to ensure you're ready for any question about conic sections on the WEST Math test. Even better, test your knowledge with a short quiz at the end of each lesson, and reach out to our instructors any time you need help.
WEST Math: Conic Sections - Chapter Objectives
You must pass the WEST Math exam if you want a math endorsement as a current or new teacher in the state of Washington. In this particular chapter, we focus solely on WEST Math exam questions involving conic sections. These kinds of problems are part of the measurement and geometry sub-area, which makes up roughly 19% of all questions on the test.
The test is computer-based and has 150 total multiple-choice questions that you'll answer within 4 hours and 15 minutes. The testing center provides you with a calculator and a formula sheet. To pass the exam, you need a total score of at least 220, and you'll know whether or not you passed immediately upon exam completion.
1. The Focus and Directrix of a Parabola
In this lesson, we will review what a parabola is, then we will look at the formal definition of a parabola, introducing the focus and directrix of a parabola. We will look at some examples to help solidify our understanding of these concepts.
2. Finding the Equation of a Parabola from the Focus and Directrix
A parabola is the familiar shape seen in many physical applications, like the path taken by a ball thrown upwards. This lesson explores equations for the parabola and shows how they may be obtained from two quantities: the focus and the directrix.
3. Foci and the Definitions of Ellipses and Hyperbolas
In this lesson, we'll look at the definition of an ellipse and a hyperbola. We'll use the foci of each of these to define them technically and formally, and we'll look at some examples to make the definitions more understandable.
4. Derive the Equation of an Ellipse from the Foci
In this lesson, you're going to learn the definition of an ellipse and foci, the standard forms of the equation for an ellipse, and how to find such an equation when given the foci.
5. Derive the Equation of a Hyperbola from the Foci
This lesson will go over what a hyperbola is and walk through the steps of finding the equation of a hyperbola given just the foci and vertex. After learning the process, we will look at an example of finding a hyperbola equation given this information.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Mathematics - WEST (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- WEST Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- WEST Math: Fractions
- WEST Math: Decimals & Percents
- WEST Math: Ratios & Proportions
- WEST Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- WEST Math: Logic
- WEST Math: Reasoning
- WEST Math: Vector Operations
- WEST Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- WEST Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- WEST Math: Algebraic Expressions
- WEST Math: Linear Equations
- WEST Math: Inequalities
- WEST Math: Absolute Value
- WEST Math: Quadratic Equations
- WEST Math: Polynomials
- WEST Math: Rational Expressions
- WEST Math: Radical Expressions
- WEST Math: Systems of Equations
- WEST Math: Complex Numbers
- WEST Math: Functions
- WEST Math: Piecewise Functions
- WEST Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- WEST Math: Continuity of a Function
- WEST Math: Limits
- WEST Math: Rate of Change
- WEST Math: Derivative Rules
- WEST Math: Graphing Derivatives
- WEST Math: Applications of Derivatives
- WEST Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- WEST Math: Integration Techniques
- WEST Math: Applications of Integration
- WEST Math: Foundations of Geometry
- WEST Math: Geometric Figures
- WEST Math: Properties of Triangles
- WEST Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- WEST Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- WEST Math: Quadrilaterals
- WEST Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- WEST Math: Geometric Solids
- WEST Math: Analytical Geometry
- WEST Math: Trigonometric Functions
- WEST Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- WEST Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- WEST Math: Trigonometric Identities
- WEST Math: Sequences & Series
- WEST Math: Set Theory
- WEST Math: Statistics Overview
- WEST Math: Summarizing Data
- WEST Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- WEST Math: Probability
- WEST Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- WEST Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- WEST Math: Sampling
- NES Mathematics WEST Flashcards