About This Chapter
WEST Math: Decimals & Percents - Chapter Summary
The WEST Math test includes numerous real-world problems that assess your knowledge of decimals and percents. The video lessons in this chapter cover many of the skills you'll need, such as:
- Multiplying, subtracting, adding and dividing decimals
- Understanding decimal place values
- Computing taxes and discounts on retail products
- Working with percents, rounding decimals and solving interest problems
- Solving word problems that involve adding or subtracting decimals
You'll watch a collection of short video lessons, all of which are only 5-10 minutes long. Our world-class math instructors include straightforward example problems and detailed, step-by-step solutions that show you exactly how to solve problems involving decimals and percents on the WEST Math exam. Best of all, you can take short quizzes at the conclusion of these lessons and ask our instructors questions if you need help.
Objectives of the WEST Math: Decimals & Percents Chapter
If you're a new or current educator in Washington State, you'll need to pass the WEST Math exam in order to qualify for a math teaching endorsement. This series of Study.com video lessons can prepare you for many of the problems involving decimals and percents in the Mathematical Processes and Number Sense sub-area of the test. That particular sub-area makes up roughly 19% of the entire WEST Math test, and there are five sub-areas in total.
The WEST Math test is offered year-round at participating Pearson testing centers. It's a computer-based exam consisting of 150 multiple-choice questions, and you'll have 4 hours and 15 minutes to answer every question. You won't need to bring a calculator - one will be provided for you, as well as a formula sheet. Your test results will be provided immediately upon completion. You'll need a score of at least 220 in order to pass.
1. What is a Decimal Place Value?
In this video lesson, you will see how a decimal, a simple dot, can change the place value of all the digits in a number. You will also learn how to read decimals using place values.
2. Adding and Subtracting Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
In math, we sometimes have to deal with decimal numbers instead of our nice whole numbers. Watch this video lesson to learn the one thing that you have to take into consideration when adding and subtracting decimals.
3. Multiplying and Dividing Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn what you need to do to get a correct answer when multiplying and dividing decimals. Learn the easy tricks to figuring out where the decimal point goes.
4. How to Round Decimals
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to look at any decimal number and round it any which way you want. Learn the tipping point that determines whether to go up to the next number or not.
5. Percents: Definition, Application & Examples
Maybe you know that 95% is an A and 75% is a C. But what do those percents really mean? In this lesson, we'll learn about percents, including how to convert them to fractions and decimals.
6. How to Solve Interest Problems: Steps & Examples
If you want to know how your money can earn money, then it's essential to learn about solving interest problems. In this lesson, we'll practice calculating interest amounts and interest rates.
7. Taxes & Discounts: Calculations & Examples
When you go shopping, you don't want to be surprised by the amount of tax on an item. You also want to fully understand discounts to know how much you can save. In this lesson, we'll practice calculating both tax and discounts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Mathematics - WEST (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- WEST Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- WEST Math: Fractions
- WEST Math: Ratios & Proportions
- WEST Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- WEST Math: Logic
- WEST Math: Reasoning
- WEST Math: Vector Operations
- WEST Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- WEST Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- WEST Math: Algebraic Expressions
- WEST Math: Linear Equations
- WEST Math: Inequalities
- WEST Math: Absolute Value
- WEST Math: Quadratic Equations
- WEST Math: Polynomials
- WEST Math: Rational Expressions
- WEST Math: Radical Expressions
- WEST Math: Systems of Equations
- WEST Math: Complex Numbers
- WEST Math: Functions
- WEST Math: Piecewise Functions
- WEST Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- WEST Math: Continuity of a Function
- WEST Math: Limits
- WEST Math: Rate of Change
- WEST Math: Derivative Rules
- WEST Math: Graphing Derivatives
- WEST Math: Applications of Derivatives
- WEST Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- WEST Math: Integration Techniques
- WEST Math: Applications of Integration
- WEST Math: Foundations of Geometry
- WEST Math: Geometric Figures
- WEST Math: Properties of Triangles
- WEST Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- WEST Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- WEST Math: Quadrilaterals
- WEST Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- WEST Math: Conic Sections
- WEST Math: Geometric Solids
- WEST Math: Analytical Geometry
- WEST Math: Trigonometric Functions
- WEST Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- WEST Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- WEST Math: Trigonometric Identities
- WEST Math: Sequences & Series
- WEST Math: Set Theory
- WEST Math: Statistics Overview
- WEST Math: Summarizing Data
- WEST Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- WEST Math: Probability
- WEST Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- WEST Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- WEST Math: Sampling
- NES Mathematics WEST Flashcards