About This Chapter
WEST Math - Derivative Rules - Chapter Summary
Watch the video lessons in this chapter and enhance your understanding of derivatives as you prepare to take the WEST Math examination. Learn and review the distributive type rule, the chain rule and the product rule. This chapter's video lessons are designed to assist you with:
- Writing limits and calculating the derivative
- Finding a derivative's linear properties
- Understanding and solving equations with the chain rule
- Differentiating polynomials and using the product rule
- Using the quotient rule to differentiate functions
You'll answer questions on the above topics when you're taking the WEST Math examination. The instructor-led video lessons are entertaining as well as educational. Take advantage of the ability to study at a pace that is comfortable for you. Utilize the video tags to re-watch specific parts of the video or submit your questions on derivative rules to the instructor. Once you've completed the lessons, take the self-assessment quizzes and the practice chapter examination to measure your progress.
WEST Math - Derivative Rules Objectives
The topics you've studied in this chapter are consistent with the questions you'll find in the Trigonometry and Calculus section of the WEST Math examination. This fourth section of the five-part examination makes up 19% of your overall test score.
Demonstrate your ability to analyze and calculate derivatives of functions as you pursue an endorsement to your Washington teaching certificate. The WEST Math examination is computer-based and consists of 150 multiple-choice questions. You'll have four hours and 15 minutes to complete the examination.
1. Using Limits to Calculate the Derivative
If you know the position of someone as a function of time, you can calculate the derivative -- the velocity of that person -- as a function of time as well. Use the definition of the derivative and your knowledge of limits to do just that in this lesson.
2. The Linear Properties of a Derivative
In this lesson, learn two key properties of derivatives: constant multiples and additions. You will 'divide and conquer' in your approach to calculating the limits used to find derivatives.
3. Using the Chain Rule to Differentiate Complex Functions
If you've ever seen a complicated function, this lesson is for you. Most functions that we want to differentiate are complicated functions, for which no single derivative rule will work. In this lesson, learn how to use the chain rule to simplify nesting equations.
4. Differentiating Factored Polynomials: Product Rule and Expansion
Most functions that we want to differentiate are complicated functions for which no single derivative rule will work. In this lesson, learn what happens to derivatives when you multiply functions together.
5. When to Use the Quotient Rule for Differentiation
Lo D Hi minus Hi D Lo, all over the square of what's below! Learn the quotient rule chant for differentiating functions that take the form of fractions in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Mathematics - WEST (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- WEST Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- WEST Math: Fractions
- WEST Math: Decimals & Percents
- WEST Math: Ratios & Proportions
- WEST Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- WEST Math: Logic
- WEST Math: Reasoning
- WEST Math: Vector Operations
- WEST Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- WEST Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- WEST Math: Algebraic Expressions
- WEST Math: Linear Equations
- WEST Math: Inequalities
- WEST Math: Absolute Value
- WEST Math: Quadratic Equations
- WEST Math: Polynomials
- WEST Math: Rational Expressions
- WEST Math: Radical Expressions
- WEST Math: Systems of Equations
- WEST Math: Complex Numbers
- WEST Math: Functions
- WEST Math: Piecewise Functions
- WEST Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- WEST Math: Continuity of a Function
- WEST Math: Limits
- WEST Math: Rate of Change
- WEST Math: Graphing Derivatives
- WEST Math: Applications of Derivatives
- WEST Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- WEST Math: Integration Techniques
- WEST Math: Applications of Integration
- WEST Math: Foundations of Geometry
- WEST Math: Geometric Figures
- WEST Math: Properties of Triangles
- WEST Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- WEST Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- WEST Math: Quadrilaterals
- WEST Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- WEST Math: Conic Sections
- WEST Math: Geometric Solids
- WEST Math: Analytical Geometry
- WEST Math: Trigonometric Functions
- WEST Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- WEST Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- WEST Math: Trigonometric Identities
- WEST Math: Sequences & Series
- WEST Math: Set Theory
- WEST Math: Statistics Overview
- WEST Math: Summarizing Data
- WEST Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- WEST Math: Probability
- WEST Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- WEST Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- WEST Math: Sampling
- NES Mathematics WEST Flashcards