About This Chapter
WEST Math: Discrete Probability Distributions - Chapter Summary
This chapter covers the topics related to discrete probability distributions that you need to know for the WEST Math certification assessment. Short, entertaining video lessons break down the following concepts:
- How to calculate the expected value of a random variable
- Discrete probability distributions
- Binomial experiments and binomial probabilities
- Binomial random variables
Use the video transcripts to hunt down key terms and ideas. Lesson quizzes offer you the opportunity to test your understanding of discrete probability distributions and pinpoint areas where additional review would be helpful. If you need any assistance, ask our instructors for help.
Objectives of the WEST Math: Discrete Probability Distributions Chapter
Use the resources in this chapter to master discrete probability distributions as you prepare for the WEST Math certification exam. Lesson quizzes offer the opportunity to assess your exam pace - questions are styled after the WEST format. You will have four hours and fifteen minutes to complete all 150 multiple-choice questions on the assessment.
Questions about statistics, probability and discrete mathematics account for 19% of your assessment score. The four remaining content domains are weighted as follows: mathematical processes and number sense (19%); patterns, algebra and functions (24%); measurement and geometry (19%); and trigonometry and calculus (19%).
1. Random Variables: Definition, Types & Examples
This lesson defines the term random variables in the context of probability. You'll learn about certain properties of random variables and the different types of random variables.
2. Finding & Interpreting the Expected Value of a Discrete Random Variable
Discrete random variables appear in your life a lot more than you think. You can use expected values to find the probability of a discrete random variable, as shown in this lesson.
3. Developing Discrete Probability Distributions Theoretically & Finding Expected Values
In this lesson, we will look at generating a theoretical probability distribution for a discrete random variable and introduce the concept of expected value.
4. Developing Discrete Probability Distributions Empirically & Finding Expected Values
In this lesson, we will look at creating a discrete probability distribution given a set of discrete data. We will also look at determining the expected value of the distribution.
5. Binomial Experiments: Definition, Characteristics & Examples
Binomial experiments happen in your everyday life far more often than you might think. In this lesson, you will learn the characteristics of binomial experiments that will help you identify them.
6. Finding Binomial Probabilities Using Formulas: Process & Examples
You can find the probability of getting a certain number of successes when conducting a binomial experiment. In this lesson, you will learn how to find this information using the binomial probabilities formula.
7. Finding Binomial Probabilities Using Tables
A binomial probability table can look intimidating to use. However, it can make your life a lot easier when trying to figure out binomial probabilities. This lesson will teach you how to read those tables.
8. Mean & Standard Deviation of a Binomial Random Variable: Formula & Example
When working with binomial random variables and experiments, it is important to understand the mean and standard deviation. In this lesson, you will learn how to analyze binomial experiments using the mean and standard deviation of a binomial random variable.
9. Solving Problems with Binomial Experiments: Steps & Example
Sometimes when conducting research you will need to use binomial experiments to solve problems. In this lesson, you will learn about binomial experiments and how to use probability to solve problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Mathematics - WEST (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- WEST Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- WEST Math: Fractions
- WEST Math: Decimals & Percents
- WEST Math: Ratios & Proportions
- WEST Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- WEST Math: Logic
- WEST Math: Reasoning
- WEST Math: Vector Operations
- WEST Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- WEST Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- WEST Math: Algebraic Expressions
- WEST Math: Linear Equations
- WEST Math: Inequalities
- WEST Math: Absolute Value
- WEST Math: Quadratic Equations
- WEST Math: Polynomials
- WEST Math: Rational Expressions
- WEST Math: Radical Expressions
- WEST Math: Systems of Equations
- WEST Math: Complex Numbers
- WEST Math: Functions
- WEST Math: Piecewise Functions
- WEST Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- WEST Math: Continuity of a Function
- WEST Math: Limits
- WEST Math: Rate of Change
- WEST Math: Derivative Rules
- WEST Math: Graphing Derivatives
- WEST Math: Applications of Derivatives
- WEST Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- WEST Math: Integration Techniques
- WEST Math: Applications of Integration
- WEST Math: Foundations of Geometry
- WEST Math: Geometric Figures
- WEST Math: Properties of Triangles
- WEST Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- WEST Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- WEST Math: Quadrilaterals
- WEST Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- WEST Math: Conic Sections
- WEST Math: Geometric Solids
- WEST Math: Analytical Geometry
- WEST Math: Trigonometric Functions
- WEST Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- WEST Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- WEST Math: Trigonometric Identities
- WEST Math: Sequences & Series
- WEST Math: Set Theory
- WEST Math: Statistics Overview
- WEST Math: Summarizing Data
- WEST Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- WEST Math: Probability
- WEST Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- WEST Math: Sampling
- NES Mathematics WEST Flashcards