About This Chapter
WEST Math: Sequences & Series - Chapter Summary
Use these quick, entertaining video lessons to study sequences and series in preparation for the WEST Math examination. As you work through the chapter, you will review:
- Different types of sequences
- Rules and formulas associated with various sequences
- Use of general terms and first n terms of sequences
- The function of arithmetic series
- The Fibonacci Sequence
- Recursive rules for sequences
Take the quiz after each lesson to evaluate your mastery of the concepts. If you need additional guidance or clarification regarding the material, ask our instructors for assistance.
Objectives of the WEST Math: Sequences & Series Chapter
The video lessons and companion transcripts in this chapter cover important sequences and series concepts you'll likely encounter as you take the WEST Math assessment. Use the lesson quizzes to pinpoint areas where additional review is necessary and to introduce yourself to the WEST format. Our lesson assessments are styled after questions from the exam. You will have four hours and fifteen minutes to complete all 150 multiple-choice tasks.
The assessment is administered by computer and includes content spanning five domains, which are weighted as follows regarding your score: mathematical processes and number sense (19%); patterns, algebra and functions (24%); measurement and geometry (19%); trigonometry and calculus (19%); and statistics, probability and discrete mathematics (19%).
1. Introduction to Sequences: Finite and Infinite
In this video lesson, we will learn about the many patterns that are possible in sequences. See how some sequences stop after a while and how some sequences never stop.
2. Arithmetic Sequences: Definition & Finding the Common Difference
Watch this video lesson to learn the pattern that defines an arithmetic sequence. Learn how to identify arithmetic sequences as well as find the pattern easily. You will also learn the formula you can use to write any number in your sequence.
3. How and Why to Use the General Term of an Arithmetic Sequence
Watch this video lesson to learn the formula for the general term of an arithmetic sequence. Also learn why this formula makes working with an arithmetic sequence much easier.
4. The Sum of the First n Terms of an Arithmetic Sequence
In this video lesson, you will learn an easy to use formula for summing an arithmetic sequence. Watch as we use the formula in action and then get a chance to use it yourself as you follow along.
5. Understanding Arithmetic Series in Algebra
In this video lesson, we will learn about arithmetic series and how they work. Learn also how to find the pattern of an arithmetic sequence along with finding the sum.
6. Working with Geometric Sequences
In this video lesson, we'll learn how to recognize when a sequence of numbers is a geometric sequence, how to find the common ratio and how to expand a sequence to as many numbers as we want!
7. How and Why to Use the General Term of a Geometric Sequence
Watch this video lesson to learn the formula for the general term of a geometric sequence. You will learn how to write your own general term given a particular geometric sequence as well as the reason for doing this.
8. The Sum of the First n Terms of a Geometric Sequence
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can find the total of a geometric sequence up to a certain point. Learn the formula that you can use to help you find your answer.
9. Understand the Formula for Infinite Geometric Series
Watch this video lesson to learn how to calculate the sum of an infinite geometric series. Learn about the interesting thing that happens when your common ratio is less than one.
10. Using Recursive Rules for Arithmetic, Algebraic & Geometric Sequences
When dealing with sequences in math, both algebraic and geometric, we come across recursive rules. Watch this video lesson to learn how recursion works and how you can use a recursive rule to get to your next number using a previous number.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Mathematics - WEST (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- WEST Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- WEST Math: Fractions
- WEST Math: Decimals & Percents
- WEST Math: Ratios & Proportions
- WEST Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- WEST Math: Logic
- WEST Math: Reasoning
- WEST Math: Vector Operations
- WEST Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- WEST Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- WEST Math: Algebraic Expressions
- WEST Math: Linear Equations
- WEST Math: Inequalities
- WEST Math: Absolute Value
- WEST Math: Quadratic Equations
- WEST Math: Polynomials
- WEST Math: Rational Expressions
- WEST Math: Radical Expressions
- WEST Math: Systems of Equations
- WEST Math: Complex Numbers
- WEST Math: Functions
- WEST Math: Piecewise Functions
- WEST Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- WEST Math: Continuity of a Function
- WEST Math: Limits
- WEST Math: Rate of Change
- WEST Math: Derivative Rules
- WEST Math: Graphing Derivatives
- WEST Math: Applications of Derivatives
- WEST Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- WEST Math: Integration Techniques
- WEST Math: Applications of Integration
- WEST Math: Foundations of Geometry
- WEST Math: Geometric Figures
- WEST Math: Properties of Triangles
- WEST Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- WEST Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- WEST Math: Quadrilaterals
- WEST Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- WEST Math: Conic Sections
- WEST Math: Geometric Solids
- WEST Math: Analytical Geometry
- WEST Math: Trigonometric Functions
- WEST Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- WEST Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- WEST Math: Trigonometric Identities
- WEST Math: Set Theory
- WEST Math: Statistics Overview
- WEST Math: Summarizing Data
- WEST Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- WEST Math: Probability
- WEST Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- WEST Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- WEST Math: Sampling
- NES Mathematics WEST Flashcards