About This Chapter
WEST Math: Statistics Overview - Chapter Summary
This chapter focuses exclusively on statistics, including statistical models, ratio measurements and more. We also delve into the following:
- Defining quantitative data
- Parameters v. statistics
- Populations and samples in statistics
- Random allocation and random selection
- Defining the difference between experiments and continuous studies
Our world-class math instructors have compiled a series of brief video lessons to help you ace all statistics-related problems on the WEST Math test. They make learning some of the trickiest stats concepts a breeze with straightforward problem sets and clear solutions. Even better, test your own skills with self-guided quizzes at the end of each lesson, and reach out to your teacher any time a question comes up.
1. Descriptive & Inferential Statistics: Definition, Differences & Examples
Descriptive and inferential statistics each give different insights into the nature of the data gathered. One alone cannot give the whole picture. Together, they provide a powerful tool for both description and prediction.
2. Difference between Populations & Samples in Statistics
Before you start collecting any information, it is important to understand the differences between population and samples. This lesson will show you how!
3. Defining the Difference between Parameters & Statistics
Using data to describe information can be tricky. The first step is knowing the difference between populations and samples, and then parameters and statistics.
4. Estimating a Parameter from Sample Data: Process & Examples
One of the most useful things we can do with data is use it to describe a population. Learn how in this lesson as we discuss the concepts of parameters and samples.
5. What is Quantitative Data? - Definition & Examples
Watch this video lesson to find out the difference between saying you have seven apples and saying that those apples are delicious. You will learn about quantitative data and why it is useful.
6. What is Categorical Data? - Definition & Examples
Categorical data is one of two types of data that you can collect when conducting research. This lesson will teach you how to understand and use categorical data.
7. Discrete & Continuous Data: Definition & Examples
You might be surprised to find that data is more than just a collection of numbers. Data is divided into several categories, including discrete and continuous data. Find out why!
8. Nominal, Ordinal, Interval & Ratio Measurements: Definition & Examples
Different types of data can be grouped and measured in different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about nominal, ordinal, interval, and ratio measurements.
9. The Purpose of Statistical Models
Understanding statistics requires that you understand statistical models. This lesson will help you understand the purpose of statistics, statistical models, and types of variables.
10. Experiments vs Observational Studies: Definition, Differences & Examples
There are different ways to collect data for research. In this lesson, you will learn about collecting data through observational studies and experiments and the differences between each.
11. Random Selection & Random Allocation: Differences, Benefits & Examples
Random selection and random allocation are often confused with one another. This lesson will help you remember the differences between them and learn how to use each method.
12. Convenience Sampling in Statistics: Definition & Limitations
Convenience sampling is one of the most common types of sampling in research. This is because of the benefits that convenience sample brings to the researcher. However, there are some limitations. You will learn about both in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Mathematics - WEST (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- WEST Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- WEST Math: Fractions
- WEST Math: Decimals & Percents
- WEST Math: Ratios & Proportions
- WEST Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- WEST Math: Logic
- WEST Math: Reasoning
- WEST Math: Vector Operations
- WEST Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- WEST Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- WEST Math: Algebraic Expressions
- WEST Math: Linear Equations
- WEST Math: Inequalities
- WEST Math: Absolute Value
- WEST Math: Quadratic Equations
- WEST Math: Polynomials
- WEST Math: Rational Expressions
- WEST Math: Radical Expressions
- WEST Math: Systems of Equations
- WEST Math: Complex Numbers
- WEST Math: Functions
- WEST Math: Piecewise Functions
- WEST Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- WEST Math: Continuity of a Function
- WEST Math: Limits
- WEST Math: Rate of Change
- WEST Math: Derivative Rules
- WEST Math: Graphing Derivatives
- WEST Math: Applications of Derivatives
- WEST Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- WEST Math: Integration Techniques
- WEST Math: Applications of Integration
- WEST Math: Foundations of Geometry
- WEST Math: Geometric Figures
- WEST Math: Properties of Triangles
- WEST Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- WEST Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- WEST Math: Quadrilaterals
- WEST Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- WEST Math: Conic Sections
- WEST Math: Geometric Solids
- WEST Math: Analytical Geometry
- WEST Math: Trigonometric Functions
- WEST Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- WEST Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- WEST Math: Trigonometric Identities
- WEST Math: Sequences & Series
- WEST Math: Set Theory
- WEST Math: Summarizing Data
- WEST Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- WEST Math: Probability
- WEST Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- WEST Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- WEST Math: Sampling
- NES Mathematics WEST Flashcards