About This Chapter
WEST Math: Units of Measure & Conversions - Chapter Summary
Follow along with our lessons to refresh your memory of how to work with and convert units of measure. Each video covers a skill that you'll need in order to complete questions on the WEST Math exam, including:
- Measuring for length, weight, time, and capacity
- Converting standard units of measure
- Working with and converting units using the metric system
- Converting currency and working with exchange rates
- Using unit conversion and dimensional analysis
- Understanding scientific notation
- Identifying accuracy and possible errors in measurements
Professional instructors lead each video using a simple, easy-to-follow approach. The videos are concise but engaging, so that you can study fractions in a fun and effective way to prepare for the WEST Math exam.
Objectives of the WEST Math: Units of Measure & Conversions Chapter
The WEST Math exam is a required assessment if you are seeking licensure to teach math in the state of Washington. The content in this chapter will be featured in the measurement and geometry portion of the exam, which accounts for about 19% of the test. Use our self-assessment quizzes to gauge your understanding of fractions and see the types of questions you can expect to find on the actual test.
Questions on the exam will be multiple-choice, and you may use the on-screen calculator and formula sheet that are provided for you. The questions may prompt you to find the best answer to a mathematical question by applying measurement skills or analyzing conversions.
1. Standard Units of Measurement for Length, Weight, Time & Capacity
Watch this video lesson to learn how to recognize the various units of measurement for length, weight, time and volume. Learn to recognize both U.S. units and metric units.
2. How to Convert Standard Units of Measure
The United States uses pounds, miles and Fahrenheit for measurements, but the rest of the world uses the metric system. This video lesson will help you to convert from one to the other easily, so you can understand kilometers and kilograms, too.
3. The Metric System: Units and Conversion
Just like you and your friend communicate using the same language, scientists all over the world need to use the same language when reporting the measurements they make. This language is called the metric system. In this lesson we will cover the metric units for length, mass, volume, density and temperature, and also discuss how to convert among them.
4. How to Convert Units in the Metric System
If you can make dinner, you can convert units in the metric system. It's that easy! In this lesson, you'll learn about the three key things you'll need to perform conversions.
5. Unit Conversion and Dimensional Analysis
How is solving a chemistry problem like playing dominoes? Watch this lesson to find out how you can use your domino skills to solve almost any chemistry problem.
6. Exchange Rates & Currency Conversion
After watching this video lesson, you will learn how currency conversion works. You will be able to convert from one currency to another with ease. Learn the process behind currency conversion.
7. Accuracy & Error in Measurements
When making measurements, it is important to be as accurate as possible. In this lesson, learn about what accuracy is and how we measure and quantify exactly how much error there is in a measurement.
8. Scientific Notation: Definition and Examples
Scientific notation is a special way of writing numbers so they are easier to work with. This lesson will define scientific notations and show some examples of how to convert numbers from standard notation to scientific notation and back.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Mathematics - WEST (304): Practice & Study Guide course
- WEST Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- WEST Math: Fractions
- WEST Math: Decimals & Percents
- WEST Math: Ratios & Proportions
- WEST Math: Logic
- WEST Math: Reasoning
- WEST Math: Vector Operations
- WEST Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- WEST Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- WEST Math: Algebraic Expressions
- WEST Math: Linear Equations
- WEST Math: Inequalities
- WEST Math: Absolute Value
- WEST Math: Quadratic Equations
- WEST Math: Polynomials
- WEST Math: Rational Expressions
- WEST Math: Radical Expressions
- WEST Math: Systems of Equations
- WEST Math: Complex Numbers
- WEST Math: Functions
- WEST Math: Piecewise Functions
- WEST Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- WEST Math: Continuity of a Function
- WEST Math: Limits
- WEST Math: Rate of Change
- WEST Math: Derivative Rules
- WEST Math: Graphing Derivatives
- WEST Math: Applications of Derivatives
- WEST Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- WEST Math: Integration Techniques
- WEST Math: Applications of Integration
- WEST Math: Foundations of Geometry
- WEST Math: Geometric Figures
- WEST Math: Properties of Triangles
- WEST Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- WEST Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- WEST Math: Quadrilaterals
- WEST Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- WEST Math: Conic Sections
- WEST Math: Geometric Solids
- WEST Math: Analytical Geometry
- WEST Math: Trigonometric Functions
- WEST Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- WEST Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- WEST Math: Trigonometric Identities
- WEST Math: Sequences & Series
- WEST Math: Set Theory
- WEST Math: Statistics Overview
- WEST Math: Summarizing Data
- WEST Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- WEST Math: Probability
- WEST Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- WEST Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- WEST Math: Sampling
- NES Mathematics WEST Flashcards