About This Chapter
Western Civilization 1945-Present - Chapter Summary
This chapter presents information on western civilization from 1945 to the present through brief video and text lessons. You can refresh your knowledge of the recovery programs of economic reconstruction in Europe and their effects after WWII, the creation of Taiwan, the Chinese Revolution, and conflicts during the Cold War. These lessons also include an overview of important changes in art, culture, science, and technology since 1945. Once you have completed these engaging lessons, you should be able to:
- Discuss the impact of political reconstruction in Europe after WWII
- Create a timeline of the establishment of Israel in 1948 and the resulting conflicts
- Give examples of post-WWII independence movements throughout the world
- Define the Space Race and tell about its history
- List causes of the fall of the Soviet Union and end of the Cold War
- Explain religion and philosophy since 1945
- Discuss the rise of the global economy and the information revolution
- Demonstrate understanding of social and political developments since 1945
The convenience and flexibility of this review give you the opportunity to study on a variety of devices and at your own pace. The lessons are brief yet packed with essential information, and you can check your knowledge at the end of each lesson with the lesson quizzes. Your personalized Dashboard will be useful for keeping track of your progress and helping you stay organized. Subject-matter experts can be consulted whenever you need clarification on any of the information in this chapter.
1. Economic Reconstruction in Europe After WWII: Recovery Programs & Their Effect
In this lesson, we explore the measures taken by the United States to aid its European allies in combating the severe economic depression in Europe immediately after World War II.
2. Political Reconstruction in Europe After WWII: History & Impact
In this lesson, we explore the political reconstruction of Europe in the years immediately following World War II and the splitting of Europe between capitalist and communist states.
3. The Creation of Israel in 1948: Timeline & Resulting Conflicts
In this lesson, we explore the movements and political developments that led to the creation of the state of Israel and the subsequent backlash from the Arab world.
4. Post-WWII Independence Movements Around the World: History & Examples
In this lesson, we explore the diverse and varied experience of decolonization in Asia, the Middle East, and Africa after World War II when Western Europe began to withdraw its claims to far away territory and colonies.
5. The Chinese Revolution and Creation of Taiwan: History & Timeline
In this lesson we explore the long struggle between the Kuomintang and the Chinese Communist Party before, during, and after WWII, and the subsequent creation of Taiwan after the communist victory.
6. Conflicts During the Cold War: Examples & Causes
In this lesson, we explore several of the world's conflicts in the second half of the 20th century that ended up becoming proxy wars between the United States and the Soviet Union in their Cold War standoff.
7. The Space Race: Definition, History & Timeline
In this lesson, we explore the 20th century's space race between the United States and the Soviet Union, where both superpowers competed to be the first in space and the first to reach the moon.
8. Fall of the Soviet Union and End of the Cold War: Causes & Timeline
In this lesson, we chart the reforms made by Russian premier Mikhail Gorbachev attempting to save the Soviet Union and the communist federation's eventual dissolution in 1991.
9. Overview of the Middle East: 1945-Present
The Middle East has undergone considerable changes since 1945. From 'mandate' territories to areas of great geopolitical interest, few aspects of modern life are untouched by the events of this region.
10. Religion & Philosophy Since 1945
In this lesson, we explore some of the major developments in the world of ideas since the end of World War II, from the increased public engagement of professional philosophy and Catholicism to the growth of Islam.
11. The Advance of Science & Technology Since 1945: Developments & Impact
In this lesson, we explore just a few of the numerous advances and innovations made in the worlds of sciences and technology, from automobiles and televisions to computers and phones that can fit in the palm of your hand.
12. The Information Revolution & The Rise of the Global Economy
This lesson will focus on how the information revolution's technological advances allow businesses around the world to work together. Examine how and why this has led to big changes in the global economy.
13. Social & Political Developments Since 1945
In this lesson, we examine several social and political developments in the United States and in Western Europe since 1945, from the civil rights movement to the creation of the European Union.
14. Art & Culture Since 1945: Types & Artists
In this lesson, we explore the art and culture of post-World War II Western society, from the fledgling television programming to the disparate directions of 20th-century art.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CSET Social Science Subtest I (114): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the CSET Social Science Test
- Prehistory & Early Civilizations
- History of the Ancient East
- Ancient Asian Political and Philosophical Thought
- Ancient Greek Contributions & History
- Hellenism & Athens
- The Roman Republic Rises
- History of the Fall of Rome
- History of the Dark Ages
- Early Middle Ages Overview
- Medieval Warm Period Overview
- Overview of the High Middle Ages
- Overview of the Late Middle Ages
- History of the Renaissance
- The Age of Exploration & Discovery
- The Reformation Throughout Europe
- History of the Elizabethan Era
- Overview of Colonialism
- Pre-Columbian America
- European Absolutism & Constitutionalism (1648-1715)
- Shifting Eastern European Power (1648-1740)
- 18th Century Empire & Expansion
- The Age of Enlightenment
- Bonaparte & the French Revolution
- Industrialization from 1700-1900
- Global Politics (1760-1848)
- Nationalism in Europe, Africa, Asia & the Americas
- Life & Trends in Europe (1850-1914)
- 19th and 20th Century Imperialism
- Causes & Effects of WWI
- History Between World Wars
- Causes & Effects of WWII
- Genocide & Ethnic Conflicts in the 20th Century
- Understanding the Study of Geography
- Geographic Diversity
- Culture in Relation to the Physical Environment
- Effects of Humans on the Environment
- CSET Social Science Subtest 1 Flashcards