About This Chapter
Western Civilization Post-1945 - Chapter Summary
Watch video lessons to get familiar with the economic and political reconstruction efforts that took place in Europe after World War II. See a timeline of events that led to the creation of Israel and get a guided tour of the independence movements that took place around the world after 1945. In this chapter, you can also learn about the events of the Cold War and its eventual end that culminated with the fall of the Soviet Union. You'll expand your knowledge of religious and philosophical changes since 1945, scientific and technological developments of the modern era and art and culture post-1945. After watching all the videos in this chapter, you'll be familiar with:
- Conflicts associated with Israel's creation
- Taiwan's origins and the Chinese Revolution
- Early events and causes of the Cold war
- Timeline of the space race
- Soviet Union's fall and the descent of the Iron Curtain
- Social, political and cultural developments after 1945
Our lessons are led by subject experts who bring these historical concepts to life through engaging videos and narration. If you have trouble understanding a topic, you have the option to ask our instructors a question. You'll find lesson quizzes and a chapter exam to round out your study of this topic.
1. Economic Reconstruction in Europe After WWII: Recovery Programs & Their Effect
In this lesson, we explore the measures taken by the United States to aid its European allies in combating the severe economic depression in Europe immediately after World War II.
2. Political Reconstruction in Europe After WWII: History & Impact
In this lesson, we explore the political reconstruction of Europe in the years immediately following World War II and the splitting of Europe between capitalist and communist states.
3. The Creation of Israel in 1948: Timeline & Resulting Conflicts
In this lesson, we explore the movements and political developments that led to the creation of the state of Israel and the subsequent backlash from the Arab world.
4. Post-WWII Independence Movements Around the World: History & Examples
In this lesson, we explore the diverse and varied experience of decolonization in Asia, the Middle East, and Africa after World War II when Western Europe began to withdraw its claims to far away territory and colonies.
5. The Chinese Revolution and Creation of Taiwan: History & Timeline
In this lesson we explore the long struggle between the Kuomintang and the Chinese Communist Party before, during, and after WWII, and the subsequent creation of Taiwan after the communist victory.
6. Conflicts During the Cold War: Examples & Causes
In this lesson, we explore several of the world's conflicts in the second half of the 20th century that ended up becoming proxy wars between the United States and the Soviet Union in their Cold War standoff.
7. The Space Race: Definition, History & Timeline
In this lesson, we explore the 20th century's space race between the United States and the Soviet Union, where both superpowers competed to be the first in space and the first to reach the moon.
8. Fall of the Soviet Union and End of the Cold War: Causes & Timeline
In this lesson, we chart the reforms made by Russian premier Mikhail Gorbachev attempting to save the Soviet Union and the communist federation's eventual dissolution in 1991.
9. Religion & Philosophy Since 1945
In this lesson, we explore some of the major developments in the world of ideas since the end of World War II, from the increased public engagement of professional philosophy and Catholicism to the growth of Islam.
10. The Advance of Science & Technology Since 1945: Developments & Impact
In this lesson, we explore just a few of the numerous advances and innovations made in the worlds of sciences and technology, from automobiles and televisions to computers and phones that can fit in the palm of your hand.
11. Social & Political Developments Since 1945
In this lesson, we examine several social and political developments in the United States and in Western Europe since 1945, from the civil rights movement to the creation of the European Union.
12. Art & Culture Since 1945: Types & Artists
In this lesson, we explore the art and culture of post-World War II Western society, from the fledgling television programming to the disparate directions of 20th-century art.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES History 7-12 (233): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the TExES History 7-12 Exam
- Prehistory & Early Civilizations
- History of the Ancient Near East
- Contributions & History of Ancient Greece
- Hellenism & Athens
- The Roman Republic Rises
- History of the Fall of Rome
- History of the Dark Ages
- Early Middle Ages Overview
- Overview of the Medieval Warm Period
- Overview of the High Middle Ages
- Overview of the Late Middle Ages
- History of the Renaissance
- The Age of Exploration & Discovery
- The Reformation Across Europe
- History of the Elizabethan Era
- Overview of Colonialism
- Early American Civilizations
- Settling North America & the Colonies
- Important Events Leading to the American Revolution
- Events & Leaders of the American Revolution
- The Making of a Nation after the American Revolution
- The Virginia Dynasty
- Jacksonian Democracy
- Everyday Life in Antebellum America
- Manifest Destiny & American Expansion
- Buildup to the American Civil War
- The American Civil War
- After the Civil War: Reconstruction
- Westward Expansion, Industrialization & Urbanization (1870-1900)
- The Progressive Era of the Early 20th Century
- American Imperialism & World War I
- 1920s America
- America and the Great Depression
- Overview of World War II
- World Events & Politics After World War II (1946-1959)
- Events & Presidents During the Cold War (1950-1973)
- Civil Rights & Other Movements in the US (1954-1973)
- America in the 1970s
- European Absolutism & Constitutionalism (1648-1715)
- Shifting Eastern European Power (1648-1740)
- 18th Century Empire & Expansion
- The Age of Enlightenment
- Bonaparte & the French Revolution
- Industrialization from 1700-1900
- Global Politics (1760-1848)
- Nationalism in Europe, Africa, Asia & the Americas
- Life & Trends in Europe (1850-1914)
- 19th and 20th Century Imperialism
- Overview of World War I
- History Between World Wars
- Native American Tribes in Texas
- Spanish Colonial & Mexican National Era
- Texas Revolution, Expansion & the Civil War
- Major Events & Trends in Texas History
- Foundations of Historical Inquiry
- Interpreting & Communicating Historical Information
- Teaching & Instruction Strategies for the History Classroom
- TEKS & the History Classroom
- TExES History 7-12 Flashcards