About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify which concepts are covered on your Western European history homework.
- Find videos on those topics within this chapter.
- Watch fun videos, pausing and reviewing as needed.
- Complete sample problems and get instant feedback.
- Finish your Western European history homework with ease!
Topics from your homework you'll be able to complete:
- The Thirty Years' War
- The decline of Spain
- Rise of the Dutch Republic
- The English Civil War
- Restoration of the English monarchy
- The creation of Great Britain
- Louis XIV's reign
- The War of Spanish Succession
1. The Thirty Years' War & the Peace of Westphalia: Summary & Significance
In this lesson we explore the Thirty Years' War and the subsequent Peace of Westphalia. The continental conflict arose out of political and religious issues in the Holy Roman Empire and Europe as a whole, and its conclusion in 1648 changed the face of European politics.
2. The Decline of Spain & Emergence of Competing Powers
In this lesson, we explore the changing geopolitical situation in seventeenth-century Europe. As Spain's power lessened, other powers such as France, Great Britain, and the Netherlands vied to replace Spain as the preeminent power of Europe.
3. The Rise of the Dutch Republic & Their Golden Age: History & Timeline
In this lesson, we explore the birth of the Dutch Republic and the Dutch Golden Age which followed. Through innovation and economic success, the Dutch became one of the most powerful nations in seventeenth-century Europe.
4. The English Civil War: Summary, Causes, Effects & Timeline
In this lesson, we explore the English Civil War, a conflict that took place in the 1640s between forces loyal to King Charles I and those loyal to Parliament. The conflict arose due to complex political and religious disagreements and culminated in the trial of the king.
5. The Restoration of a Limited Monarchy in England: Definition & History
In this lesson we explore the English Restoration of the monarchy in 1660. Over a decade after Parliament beheaded King Charles I, it restored his son, Charles II, to the English throne, albeit under a new, limited constitutional monarchy.
6. The Creation of Great Britain & The English Bill of Rights
In this lesson we explore the 1688 Glorious Revolution in England, where the Catholic James II was supplanted by Parliament in favor of William and Mary, as well as other important political landmarks of the late Stuart period including the English Bill of Rights and the Act of Union.
7. The Reign of Louis XIV in France: Accomplishments & Influence
In this lesson, we explore the reign of Louis XIV in France. Domestically, Louis revolutionized numerous facets of French government and administration over his 72-year reign.
8. French Expansion Under Louis XIV: Conflicts & Overview
In this lesson, we explore the initial expansion and eventual reduction of French territory during the reign of Louis XIV of France, and the numerous wars fought and political games played in the process.
9. The War of Spanish Succession and the Treaty of Utrecht
In this lesson we explore the War of the Spanish Succession. With multiple claimants and no clear heir, several nations fought from 1701 to 1714 to decide the Spanish throne and tip the balance of power in Europe in their favor.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Western Civilization Since 1648: Homework Help Resource course
- Eastern European Power Shifts (1648-1740): Homework Help
- Empire and Expansion in the 18th Century: Homework Help
- The Scientific Revolution (1500-1790): Homework Help
- The French Revolution & Napoleon (1780-1815): Homework Help
- Industrialization From 1700-1900: Homework Help
- Political Developments From 1760-1848: Homework Help
- The Age of Nationalism: Homework Help
- European Life and Trends From 1850-1914: Homework Help
- Imperialism in the 19th and 20th Centuries: Homework Help
- World War I (1914-1919): Homework Help
- The Years Between the World Wars: Homework Help
- World War II (1939-1945): Homework Help
- Western Civilization Since 1945: Homework Help