About This Chapter
Why Companies Go Global - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our knowledgeable instructors review the reasons why a company might choose to enter the global marketplace and the positive and negative implications of such a move. Employees in your company will learn the following:
- Why international trade is flourishing
- Technological changes and institutions behind globalization
- Reasons why companies decide to expand internationally
- Potential negatives of developing a business overseas
Our short, compelling video lessons discuss the reasoning behind why so many companies are choosing to expand internationally and why others may choose not to. The self-assessment quizzes that accompany each lesson will allow you to assess how well your employees have absorbed the lessons. A chapter exam is also available to ensure that they have understood the key points.
How It Helps
- Fosters understanding: Employees in your company can appreciate the decision to go global if they comprehend the social and technological changes that have led up to it.
- Breeds buy-in: Your employees will be more likely to support the decision to expand overseas if they know the potential benefits to the company and themselves.
- Creates realistic expectations: The employees of your firm will know what the potential risks of global expansion can be.
By the end of this chapter, your employees will be able to:
- Explain the technological changes and institutions that have driven the process of globalization
- List several reasons why companies may find it beneficial to go global and how each one benefits the company
- Discuss the reasons why a company might choose not to expand internationally
1. Major Drivers of Globalization & Institutions that Shaped the Process
There are many factors that are responsible for the flourishing of globalization. In this lesson, we will discuss the technological changes and institutions that have driven the process. In the end, you will take a quiz to challenge your knowledge on the subject.
2. The Benefits of International Expansion in Business
Many businesses have found that there are a lot of benefits to expanding globally. Today, we will go over the many benefits and advantages of international expansion.
3. Practical Application: Identifying Benefits of International Expansion in Business
In the 21st century, business opportunities exist around the globe. In this scenario you will apply your understanding of the various benefits and advantages that can come with international expansion.
4. Pros & Cons of Going Global With a Business
Going global is a big decision many businesses think long about making. In this lesson, we will discuss the good and bad about doing business internationally. We will also view some examples.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.