About This Chapter
1. Children's Awareness of the Spoken & Written Language Relationship
Print Awareness is an important element for young children associating writing and reading with spoken language. Understanding the symbolic nature of letters and words can add greatly to reading acquisition.
2. The Role of Environmental Print in Early Development
One of the first indicators that young children are responding to print is their ability to read environmental print. What does this mean? This lesson will define the term and explain how to use it to develop early reading skills.
3. Development of Print Awareness & Concepts
One of the very first steps in the reading process is print awareness. This lesson defines print awareness and gives some hints on how to use lap reading to develop an understanding of print directionality, spacing, and the alphabetic principle.
4. How Students Learn Directionality of Print
Children don't automatically understand how reading works. Pre-reading skills, such as knowing where to begin reading on the page, need to be taught. This lesson explains how teachers and parents can help children develop these skills.
5. The Alphabetic Principle & Learning to Read
Learning to read can often be a complex process for children, especially bilingual and other language learners. How does the alphabetic principle come into play? This lesson will explain how all children use the principle to develop reading.
6. Alphabet Lessons for Kindergarten and Preschool
Teaching the alphabet is a large part of teaching preschool and kindergarten. This lesson will give you several activities you can use to teach this important skill to your students.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Foundations of Reading Test - NES for Wisconsin: Practice & Study Guide course
- Foundations of Reading: Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- Foundations of Reading: Learning to Read with Phonics
- Foundations of Reading: Word Analysis Strategies
- Foundations of Reading: Vocabulary Development
- Foundations of Reading: Understanding Literary Texts
- Foundations of Reading: Assessing Reading Development
- Foundations of Reading: Literacy Theory
- Foundations of Reading: Instructional Approaches
- Foundations of Reading: Strategies for Instruction & Intervention
- Foundations of Reading: Understanding Expository Texts
- Foundations of NES Reading Test: NES for Wisconsin Flashcards