About This Chapter
WI Foundations of Reading: Literacy Theory - Chapter Summary
Reviewing literacy theory will help you get ready for the Wisconsin Foundations of Reading test. This chapter provides you with lessons that ensure you're familiar with:
- Types of literacy theories
- The schema-theoretic approach
- Emergent literacy
These lessons were designed by subject-matter experts to provide the best definitions and examples of these theories. You'll also find quizzes included with each lesson that ensure you understand the concepts presented. If you have any questions, contact our expert instructors using the teacher tabs of the lessons.
1. Literacy Theories: Types & Characteristics
The maturationist, emergent, and social constructivist literacy theories have different perspectives on how children acquire literacy. In this lesson, we will discuss the main characteristics of each theory.
2. Using the Schema-Theoretic Approach to Reading Instruction
As a reader, are you just absorbing what a text says? In this lesson, we'll discuss the role of schemas in the reading process and how we interpret more than just words on a page.
3. Emergent Literacy: Definition, Theories & Characteristics
Literacy actually begins at a much earlier age than most expect. This video lesson describes a child's beginnings in the world of reading, which is called emergent literacy.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Foundations of Reading Test - NES for Wisconsin: Practice & Study Guide course
- Foundations of Reading: Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- Foundations of Reading: Concepts of Print & the Alphabet
- Foundations of Reading: Learning to Read with Phonics
- Foundations of Reading: Word Analysis Strategies
- Foundations of Reading: Vocabulary Development
- Foundations of Reading: Understanding Literary Texts
- Foundations of Reading: Assessing Reading Development
- Foundations of Reading: Instructional Approaches
- Foundations of Reading: Strategies for Instruction & Intervention
- Foundations of Reading: Understanding Expository Texts
- Foundations of NES Reading Test: NES for Wisconsin Flashcards