About This Chapter
WI Foundations of Reading: Word Analysis Strategies - Chapter Summary
As a prospective educator in Wisconsin, the Wisconsin Foundations of Reading assessment gauges your comprehension of reading and writing development. On the exam, you can expect to see questions addressing word analysis strategies. To ensure you're ready for questions, review lessons that enable you to:
- Describe the process of teaching phonics, word analysis, spelling and fluency
- Define and identify types of morphemes
- Share the meaning of prefixes
- Explain how to use affixes and roots to find the meaning of words
- Demonstrate ways to teach syllabication and word breaks
- Show your understanding of spelling, word patterns and compound word strategy
- Provide the meaning of homograph and context clue
This chapter offers a variety of resources perfect for boosting your knowledge of word analysis strategies. Test your knowledge of the subject area by taking short quizzes before, during or after reviewing the lessons. You can also take the chapter exam to get a broader review of lesson concepts. Also, don't hesitate to submit lesson topic questions to our experts.
1. Morphemes: Examples, Definition & Types
The smallest recognized unit of meaning, morphemes function as the foundation of language. Explore this foundation through a full definition, discussion of types, and examples. Then, test your knowledge with a quiz.
2. Prefixes: Definition & Examples
Learn how the meanings of simple words can be changed with the addition of a prefix. Using this knowledge, you will gain the skill of quickly unlocking the meanings of more complex words.
3. Using Affixes and Roots to Find the Meaning of Words
In this lesson, we will learn how to understand the meaning of words by breaking them down into the parts that form them. This requires knowledge of the Greek and Latin roots, and affixes, which are parts we add to roots to make new words.
4. Teaching Syllabication & Word Breaks
Learning how to break words up into syllables is a helpful part of spelling and decoding. This lesson gives you some ideas about how to teach syllabication and word breaks.
5. Spelling & Word Patterns: Prefixes, Suffixes & Root Words
How do we form words in our language? What gives them definitions? Watch this video lesson to discover how word parts like prefixes, suffixes and root words make up words and affect their meanings.
6. Compound Word Strategy
Compound word strategy is a way to teach or learn compound words that is fun, engaging and educational. It also gives students the opportunity to build their vocabulary.
7. Homograph: Definition & Examples
This lesson will examine the homograph, a phenomenon of language whereby two distinct words, with two distinct meanings, share the same spelling. The lesson also will illustrate the confusion that can arise from poor awareness of homographs.
8. Context Clue: Definition & Examples
This lesson will assist you in understanding all components of context clues found in literature and how they can be applied to your writing. Learn more about context clues in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Foundations of Reading Test - NES for Wisconsin: Practice & Study Guide course
- Foundations of Reading: Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- Foundations of Reading: Concepts of Print & the Alphabet
- Foundations of Reading: Learning to Read with Phonics
- Foundations of Reading: Vocabulary Development
- Foundations of Reading: Understanding Literary Texts
- Foundations of Reading: Assessing Reading Development
- Foundations of Reading: Literacy Theory
- Foundations of Reading: Instructional Approaches
- Foundations of Reading: Strategies for Instruction & Intervention
- Foundations of Reading: Understanding Expository Texts
- Foundations of NES Reading Test: NES for Wisconsin Flashcards