About This Chapter
Wind, Air Masses & ENSO in Atmospheric Circulation - Chapter Summary
The tools of this chapter will help you review what you know about the role of wind, air masses and ENSO in atmospheric circulations. Watch the lesson videos to get better understanding of global wind patterns, the factors that affect these patterns and these patterns' effects on weather. These lessons are taught by expert instructors who will help you prepare for questions about:
- The three wind belts
- Jet streams
- Effects of pressure gradient forces, Coriolis effect and friction on wind patterns
- Monsoonal circulations
- El Nino, La Nina and the Pacific Decadel Oscillation
- Types of air masses
Following these short, engaging lesson videos, complete the self-assessment quizzes to find out what information you didn't retain. Improve your knowledge of these topics by returning to the lessons. Use video tags to skip over the material you've already mastered, or try an alternative review of the material and read over the lesson transcripts.
1. The Global Wind Patterns of the Three Wind Belts
You are familiar with wind, but did you know there are different wind belts depending on where you are on the earth? This lesson will examine the three main wind belts: polar easterlies, tropical easterlies and prevailing westerlies.
2. Jet Streams & the Polar Front
You've probably heard about jet streams during the news weather segment. But what is a jet stream? This lesson will explain how jet streams form, what they are and then will focus on the polar jet stream.
3. Factors That Affect Wind: Pressure Gradient Forces, Coriolis Effect & Friction
In this video lesson, you will learn about wind and some factors that affect it, such as air temperature and pressure, the Coriolis effect, and friction. By the end of this lesson, you will also understand how Earth's rotation plays a role in how winds travel.
4. Monsoons & Monsoonal Circulations
Monsoons bring a seasonal change in weather to many parts of the world. This lesson will explore two monsoonal circulations and will also discuss how monsoons impact the people who experience them.
5. The Relationship Between El Nino & La Nina
In this video lesson, you will learn about El Niño and La Niña. You will understand the differences between them, as well as some of their effects on both ocean waters and weather patterns on land.
6. Types of Air Masses & Their Effect on Weather
Air masses affect weather in a number of different ways. In this lesson, you will learn about the different types of air masses found on Earth and how the movement of air masses creates changes in the weather.
7. The Pacific Decadal Oscillation & El Nino
Understanding the Pacific Decadal Oscillation, or the PDO, and El Niño allows scientists to better understand weather phenomenon. This lesson explores the PDO, as well as its similarities with El Niño and La Niña.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Earth/Space Science (020): Practice & Study Guide course
- Foundations of Earth Science
- Basics of Inquiry & Research in Earth & Space Science
- Scientific Data & Calculations
- Laboratory Equipment, Safety & Procedures
- Scientific Tools Used in Earth & Space Science
- Earth's Formation & Structure
- Plate Tectonics, Continental Drift & Ocean Formations
- Understanding Earthquakes
- Rocks & Minerals
- Effect of Weathering, Erosion & Deposition
- Geologic Time & Earth's History
- Environmental Impacts of Earth's Natural Resources
- Properties of Water & the Hydrologic Cycle
- Ocean Formation & Characteristics
- Earth's Groundwater
- Earth's Fresh Water
- Global Water Issues
- The Structure & Characteristics of Earth's Atmosphere
- Clouds, Condensation & Precipitation
- Weather Conditions, Patterns & Severe Weather
- Climate Change & Air Pollution
- The Sun-Earth-Moon System
- Solar Radiation, Energy & Light
- Celestial Orbit Characteristics
- Formation of the Solar System
- Celestial Bodies in the Solar System
- Kepler & Newton's Laws of Motion
- Star Types & Life Cycle
- Origins & Theories of the Universe
- Introduction to the History of Astronomy
- MTTC Earth/Space Science Flashcards