About This Chapter
Winter Holidays Lesson Plans & Activities - Chapter Summary
Our helpful chapter covers the winter holidays celebrated around the world and gives you lesson plans and activities to use in the classroom. Some of the holidays discussed in these resources include Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and New Year's Day, as well as how traditions vary around the world. These lessons are created by professional instructors to help you expand your students' knowledge of world cultures.
How It Helps
- Encourages multi-cultural learning: These lesson plans and activities help your students understand how the holidays they're familiar with are celebrated in other countries and exposes them to other winter celebrations from around the world.
- Simplifies your planning: Our resources are ready to use and integrate into your curriculum, making your planning process go quickly and easily.
- Enriches the holiday season: With resources on New Year's Resolutions, Christmas ornaments and carols, this chapter helps you create activities and instruction that make this time of the year special for your students.
How It Works
This helpful resource offers teachers lesson plan resources with relevant tools to make planning social studies lessons easy.
- Use lesson plan outlines for specific world culture topics you want to cover in class.
- Formulate your social studies class outline using the suggested classroom tools offered in the lesson plans.
- Share the related world culture lessons with students in class to make learning fun and engaging.
- Use related lesson quizzes to ensure your students understand the most important world culture concepts from the lessons.
- Engage your students with relevant social studies-related activities, discussion questions or other materials found in the lesson plan outline.
1. December Holidays Around the World
December is a popular month for celebrations. There are many different holidays celebrated in December. This lesson explores some of the December holidays around the world.
2. Winter Holidays Around the World Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to introduce holidays celebrated around the world during the month of December. Students will read or listen to a text article, discuss various holidays, and create posters of worldwide holiday celebrations.
3. 'Twas the Night Before Christmas Lesson Plan
Twas the Night Before Christmas and all through the house, we've all heard this phrase, but do we know the history behind it? This lesson plan uses an engaging text lesson and an activity to teach students about this epic poem and its influence on our Christmas traditions.
4. 'Twas the Night Before Christmas: Lesson for Kids
The night before Christmas is an exciting time for most children…so exciting that someone wrote a famous poem about it! In this lesson, you will learn all about the poem 'Twas the Night Before Christmas.
5. Christmas Literature Lesson Plan
Through this lesson plan, you can familiarize your students with a number of classic and famous examples of Christmas literature. Activities spread over several days will allow students to explore more than one of these texts and to compare the text with a movie portrayal of the same story.
6. Classic & Famous Christmas Literature: Stories & Authors
Need a read to put you in the holiday spirit? In this lesson, we'll explore some classic and famous Christmas literature choices by beloved and timeless authors guaranteed to put a jingle in your step.
7. A Christmas Carol Project Ideas
Spending time to truly understand iconic seasonal stories is important. This asset offers multiple engaging projects to show student comprehension of 'A Christmas Carol'.
8. School Christmas Party Ideas
Christmas is an exciting time for everyone, but especially for kids. Having a school Christmas party can really allow them to enjoy the season. Check out these fun ideas for Christmas party activities.
9. History of Christmas Carols Lesson Plan
Where did the tradition of singing Christmas carols originate? What do they represent? This lesson plan uses a fact-filled text lesson to outline key points on Christmas carols. An activity is aimed at analysis in regards to the meaning and message of selected Christmas carols.
10. History of Christmas Carols
Christmas carols are a ubiquitous part of our society, but where do they come from? In this lesson, we'll explore the long history of this tradition and see how it turned into the custom we know today.
11. History of Christmas Music
'White Christmas' (1942) was, until recently, the most performed Christmas song of all time and topped the singles charts until 1998. In this lesson, you will learn the origin of Christmas hymns and carols, how they developed through the Middle Ages, were revived in the 19th century, and how the tradition of composing Christmas songs has continued through to today.
12. Christmas Ornament Lesson Plan
In this lesson plan, students will learn about the history and types of Christmas ornaments. After a shared reading, students will have a discussion about Christmas ornaments and then create their own ornament and write about its symbolism.
13. Christmas Ornaments: History & Meanings
Every December, the world turns festive and bright. People put up Christmas trees and decorate them with ornaments that have special meaning. In this lesson, we'll take a look at the meanings and history of Christmas ornaments.
14. Christmas in Latin America Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to teach your students about Christmas in Latin America. Students will be able to answer questions and describe their experiences using content-specific language as they participate in a celebration.
15. Christmas in Latin America: Traditions, Food & Decorations
Have you ever taken a couple of whacks at a pinata before? If so, did you imagine you were eliminating sin, or were you just focused on the candy inside? In this lesson, we will look closer at this, and other Christmas traditions, celebrated in Latin America.
16. Christmas Around the World Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to introduce your students to Christmas traditions around the world. Students will read a text lesson before engaging in a creative activity to bring some of the world's traditions to life. Finish off with a quiz to test understanding.
17. Elf on the Shelf Classroom Ideas
The Elf on the Shelf is quickly becoming a holiday tradition. This article provides a few ideas on how to integrate the book, the whimsical toy, and a bit of holiday magic into your classroom.
18. Christmas Art Lesson Plan
This lesson introduces students to Christmas art. Students work in groups to identify symbols found in Christmas art and to compare examples of artwork. Students then create their own Christmas stamps and write about them.
19. Hanukkah Lesson Plan
Use this lesson plan to teach your students about the history and traditions of Hanukkah. Students apply comprehension skills to a shared reading passage, discuss content, then do a fun activity to make concepts stick.
20. Kwanzaa Lesson Plan
Teach your students the history, symbols, traditions, and celebrations for the Kwanzaa holiday with this lesson plan. Students will navigate informational text, then apply key ideas with an activity.
21. New Year Lesson Plan
Celebrating the New Year is important to many different cultures. Use this lesson to help students learn about the diverse ways in which cultures celebrate the New Year. A group activity is included to have students write a New Year song.
22. New Year Celebrations Around the World
New Year celebrations are a time of reflection on the past, and anticipation of the future. However, not all nations celebrate the New Year at the same time or in the same way. In this lesson, we will take a look at how the New Year is celebrated around the world.
23. New Year's Resolution Activities
When New Year's Eve comes around, it is fun to inspire kids to set up their own resolutions. This lesson discusses different activities for New Year's resolutions geared toward varied grades.
24. Winter Solstice Lesson Plan
Most people know that the Winter Solstice marks the beginning of winter, but not many understand what a solstice really is. In this lesson, we will take a closer look at the Winter Solstice and examine the history and traditions it has inspired.
25. Groundhog Day Activities for Preschoolers
Groundhog Day is a unique holiday, and sometimes it's hard to know how to celebrate. Try these preschool activities that include sorting, singing, science, and pre-writing options all related to Groundhog Day.
26. Valentine's Day Classroom Activities
Are you looking for fun activities to celebrate Valentine's Day with your class? These activities, including art, math, word play, and journal prompts, allow students to work both individually and in groups.
27. Valentine's Day Lesson Plan for High School
Educate your students about the real St. Valentine and St. Valentine's Day with this helpful lesson plan. They will participate in a group discussion about the holiday, followed by a related hands-on activity.
28. Valentine's Day Lesson Plan for Elementary
Most people know that Valentine's Day is a holiday, but what is it all about? In this lesson plan, students learn about St. Valentine as well as the symbols of Valentine's Day and play a matching game.
29. Valentine Shoebox Project Ideas
Elementary students love exchanging cards on Valentine's Day. These projects provide fun, creative ways to decorate collection boxes for the big event.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the World Cultures Lesson Plans & Resources course
- World Religions & Cultures Lesson Plans
- Holidays Lesson Plans
- Thanksgiving Lesson Plans & Activities
- Halloween Lesson Plans & Activities
- United Kingdom Cultures Lesson Plans & Resources
- Native American Culture & Religion Lesson Plans
- French Culture Lesson Plans & Resources
- Hispanic Culture Lesson Plans