About This Chapter
Wireless & Mobile Network Types - Chapter Summary
This chapter can help you study wireless and mobile network types through expertly taught lessons on different types of communication networks and communication and wireless computing devices. Along with each lesson, we've also included a short quiz to help you gauge your knowledge. Help from one of our experts is available if you need it. Once you complete this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Outline wide-area wireless communication
- Detail wi-fi and hotspots as medium-range wireless communications options
- Give examples of short-range wireless communication tools
- Discuss computer networks and distributed processing
- Describe the characteristics of WLAN protocols
- Explain the uses for antennas
1. Communication Networks: Types & Examples
Do you ever wonder how different communication networks work? In this lesson, we will discuss four different types: wheel network, chain network, circle network, and all-channel network and how each can be used in different organizations.
2. Communication & Wireless Computing Devices: GPS, PDA, Cellular & Satellite
A large number of different devices use wireless communications networks. Learn about the different types of devices and which communication signals they use.
3. Wide-Area Wireless Communication: Microwave, Satellite, 3G, 4G & WiMAX
Wide-area wireless communication travels large distances, from several kilometers to thousands of kilometers. Learn how much of the world's communication uses microwaves in cellular networks, WiMAX and satellite communications.
4. Medium-Range Wireless Communication: Wi-Fi & Hotspots
WiFi is the most widely used medium-range wireless communication technology. Learn how WiFi standards and access points are used to create hotspots for Internet access.
5. Short-Range Wireless Communication: Bluetooth, ZigBee & Infrared Transmission
Short-range wireless communication uses signals that travel from a few centimeters to several meters. Learn about some of the most widely used types of short-range wireless technologies.
6. Computer Networks and Distributed Processing: PAN, LAN, WAN, MAN
Computer networks can vary in size from a handful of devices within a single room to millions of devices spread across the entire globe. Learn about the different types of networks.
7. WLAN Protocols: Types & Characteristics
In this lesson we will examine the different types of WLAN protocols. We will see how each protocol evolved in development over time from the first created standard. We will also understand their different characteristics and highlight their pros and cons.
8. What is an Antenna? - Definition & Uses
Discover the different kinds of antennas and how they work, along with their specific applications and the science behind generating waves. Explore the difference between AM and FM waves.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 323: Wireless & Mobile Networking course