About This Chapter
Word Analysis and Vocabulary for Developing Readers - Chapter Summary
This chapter covers foundational knowledge and helpful guidance relevant to the teaching of word analysis and vocabulary to developing readers, diving into the following topics:
- Syllabication and word breaks
- Teaching vocabulary on a contextual level
- Determining meaning in words through structural analysis
- Fleshing out the meaning of words through context
- Research-based guidelines for the instruction of vocabulary
- Methods of teaching vocabulary and reading comprehension
- Utilizing reference materials for vocabulary
The dashboard feature provides you with a way of tracking your progress through the chapter and keeping tabs on your recent studying activity, with additional links to practice quizzes and other courses pertinent to your learning path. While there, you can also ask questions of our subject experts if you're having a hard time with any given topic.
1. Morphemes: Examples, Definition & Types
The smallest recognized unit of grammar and syntax, morphemes function as the foundation of language. Explore this foundation through a full definition, discussion of types, and examples. Then, test your knowledge with a quiz.
2. Teaching Syllabication & Word Breaks
Learning how to break words up into syllables is a helpful part of spelling and decoding. This lesson gives you some ideas about how to teach syllabication and word breaks.
3. Teaching Vocabulary in Context
Learning vocabulary in context helps people make connections for better comprehension. We'll look at a variety of learning strategies that can help students understand and incorporate new words effectively. After the lesson, test your new knowledge with our quiz questions!
4. Using Structural Analysis to Determine the Meaning of Words
Discover the importance of using structural analysis to understand unfamiliar words. In this lesson, we'll discuss how to divide unknown words into known pieces to comprehend their overall meanings.
5. How to Use Context to Determine the Meaning of Words
With diligence and intrepid ingenuity, you can use context to ascertain the purport of a word. In other words, in this lesson, we'll find out how to use context to figure out what words mean.
6. Research-Based Guidelines for Teaching Vocabulary
In this lesson, learn best practices for teaching vocabulary words to students. Understand the insights of researchers who have spent decades discovering what works best.
7. Vocabulary Words & Reading Comprehension: Teaching Strategies
Learning how to decipher unfamiliar words is imperative in any language arts classroom. Watch this video lesson to learn strategies for teaching vocabulary in reading passages.
8. How to Teach New Vocabulary
This lesson describes how to introduce a new vocabulary word and several sample activities for reinforcing the meanings of the terms. A short quiz follows the lesson.
9. Using Reference Materials for Vocabulary
In this lesson, we will explore various reference materials that will allow you to increase your vocabulary. Common reference materials include dictionaries, glossaries, and thesauruses.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Reading Specialist (5301): Practice & Study Guide course
- Reading Assessment Techniques
- Evidence-Based Reading Instruction
- Oral Language Development in Children
- Teaching Phonemic & Phonological Awareness
- Concepts of Print
- Phonics & Fluency
- Building Reading Comprehension & Literacy
- Reading Comprehension of Fiction & Poetry
- Reading Comprehension of Nonfiction Texts
- Writing Development
- Spelling, Grammar & Mechanics
- Research & Inquiry Tools for Reading Instruction
- Specialized Skills for the Reading Professional
- Leadership & Professional Development for Reading Specialists
- The Reading Education Community
- Praxis Reading Specialist Flashcards