About This Chapter
Word Identification & Decoding Reading Strategies - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll discover a whole host of strategies that can be used to vastly improve reading skills. Examine the various stages of word recognition and broaden your understanding of how cueing systems and high frequency words can simplify the process of learning to read. By the end of the chapter, you should know how to:
- Explain word identification and its stages
- Integrate a range of strategies and activities to foster children's word identification skills
- Teach decoding reading strategies and the decoding of multisyllabic words
- Help students to understand synonyms, antonyms, and homonyms
- Promote dictionary skills in students
Let our accredited instructors guide you through the key topics by way of short, fun videos and structured text-based lessons. Study efficiently and at your own pace using the Timeline function, which allows you to jump to the main points of the video. Once you've finished a lesson, you can track your progress and boost your retention using the self-assessment quiz provided.
1. Word Identification Skills in Young Children: Strategies & Activities
This lesson will examine effective strategies and activities to support the development of young children's word identification skills, including sight word recognition, identifying words in context, structural analysis, and manipulating graphemes.
2. What is Word Recognition? - Stages & Skills
In this lesson, we'll learn the stages of word recognition that students will experience as they grow from young children who are just beginning to see the relationship between letters and sounds to fluent readers.
3. Familiarizing Students with High Frequency Words
Watch this video lesson to learn what you as an educator can do to help students learn to read with confidence. Learn why learning the high frequency words is beneficial, if not crucial, to becoming a competent reader.
4. Teaching Decoding Reading Strategies
Learning how to decode properly is a key aspect of learning to read. This lesson introduces you to some of the fundamentals of teaching children how to decode when reading.
5. Teaching Decoding of Multisyllabic Words
As children grow into more sophisticated readers, your decoding lessons will increasingly involve words with multiple syllables. This lesson gives you some strategies for helping children do this tricky work.
6. Cueing Systems: Graphic, Syntactic & Semantic
What happens when you're reading, and you come across an unfamiliar word? In this lesson, we'll explore the three major cueing systems for reading: graphic, syntactic, and semantic. We'll also discuss activities to teach each system.
7. How to Teach Synonyms, Antonyms & Homonyms
Teaching students to read and write often involves teaching them about how language works in general. This lesson focuses on strategies you can use for teaching synonyms, antonyms, and homonyms.
8. How to Teach Dictionary Skills to Students
Do you remember who taught you to use a dictionary? This lesson includes strategies you can use to help your students explore the multiple uses and versions of the very important dictionary.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Core Subjects EC-6 - English Language Arts and Reading & the Science of Teaching Reading (801): Practice & Study Guide course
- About the TExES Core Subjects EC-6 Exam
- Skills & Techniques for Children's Linguistic Development
- Teaching Speaking & Listening Skills to Children
- The Development of Phonological & Phonemic Awareness
- Teaching the Alphabet
- Print Awareness & Literacy Development
- Developing Reading Fluency in Children
- Reading Comprehension Development & Instruction
- Creating Reading Strategies for Students
- Teaching Children's Literature
- Vocabulary Instruction & Assessment
- Research Skills & Critical Thinking for Elementary Students
- English Writing Conventions for Elementary School
- Writing Instruction & Development for Elementary School
- Assessing & Developing Writing Skills
- Parental Support in Developing Literacy Skills
- Understand the Science of Teaching Reading Standards
- ELAR Instruction in Texas
- TExES Core Subjects EC-6: ELA & Reading Flashcards