About This Chapter
Work-Based Experiences - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, we'll focus on relevant work-based experiences including everything you need to know about the interview, hiring, and training processes. Find out about informational interviews and job shadowing, and the advantages and disadvantages of different training techniques. Our instructors will teach you how human resources managers go about scouting and hiring new employees.
Our simple-to-understand lesson plans will also guide you through all the relevant information pertaining to child labor laws and minimum wages, as well as some examples of industry certification. When you're done with our lessons, you'll be able to:
- Identify different methods of training employees
- Explain why an employer might choose a mentoring, on-the-job, or job rotation training technique
- Analyze the processes of informational interviews and job shadowing
- Discuss the impact of the Fair Labor Standards Act
- Explain the value of child labor laws and the minimum wage
- Speak knowledgeably about human resources managers
- Discuss the importance of industry certifications
Our brief, comprehensive video lessons will set you up for success by supplying you with all the info you'll need. Use the video tags and lesson transcripts to effortlessly move through the chapter. When you want to test your know-how on the subject, check out our helpful self-assessments!
1. Methods for Training Employees: Mentoring, On-The-Job & Job Rotation
There are several different types of training methods used to acclimate an employee to a new job or even to a new position within his current organization. In this lesson, we'll discuss several different methods, including on-the-job training, job rotation and job mentoring.
2. Informational Interviews and Job Shadowing: Learning About Careers
Exploring career options can be complicated. How can you really know what a career is like? In this lesson, we'll examine two ways to get the skinny on different careers: informational interviews and job shadowing.
3. Types of Employee Training Programs
There are several types of employee training programs. Employees may receive basic literacy training, interpersonal skills training, technical training, problem-solving training and diversity or sensitivity training. Each type of training targets a different facet of an organization's overall culture and performance.
4. Minimum Wage & Child Labor: Purpose of the Fair Labor Standards Act
The Fair Labor Standards Act was passed during the Industrial Revolution and Great Depression eras of the United States. It was common for workers to experience cruel work environments during this time. This lesson explains the purpose of the Fair Labor Standards Act, including the provisions on minimum wages and child labor.
5. The Hiring Process: How Human Resource Managers Recruit and Hire Employees
When a company is hiring, they need to ensure that they hire the right employees. There are several different steps involved in the hiring process. This lesson explains these steps that include application forms, testing, interviewing, reference checks and health exams.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE Marketing 6-12 (057): Test Practice & Study Guide course
- Marketing Careers and Employability
- Human Relations
- Marketing Mathematics
- Economic Principles
- Marketing Principles
- Business Operations
- Sales Promotion
- Product and Service Technology
- Leadership and Management
- Program Operation
- Financial Literacy
- FTCE Marketing 6-12 Flashcards