About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other high school trigonometry work.
- Identify the complex numbers concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our High School Trigonometry Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about complex numbers and earn better grades. This resource can help students, including those who:
- Struggle with understanding imaginary numbers, arithmetic operations with complex numbers, graphs on the complex plane or any other complex numbers topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their complex numbers unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in high school trigonometry
- Don't have access to their math teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about complex numbers simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live trigonometry tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about complex numbers on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and re-watch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Explore imaginary numbers
- Learn to add, subtract, multiply and divide complex numbers
- Find out how to graph a complex number on the complex plane
1. What is an Imaginary Number?
The imaginary number 'i' is the square root of -1. Although this number doesn't actually exist, pretending that it does allows us to do a bunch of crazy math that scientists use every day. Learn the basics of that number 'i' here!
2. How to Add, Subtract and Multiply Complex Numbers
Knowing that complex numbers exist is the first step. But that knowledge alone won't help you do much with them. Learn the basics of complex number addition, subtraction and multiplication here!
3. How to Divide Complex Numbers
While adding, subtracting and multiplying complex numbers is pretty straightforward, dividing them can be pretty tricky. It comes down to the process of multiplying by the complex conjugate. Learn about what that is, and how to do it, here.
4. How to Graph a Complex Number on the Complex Plane
Graphing complex numbers is pretty straight forward, but it's not necessarily intuitive. Check out this lesson to learn the vocabulary and the conventions that you'll need.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution course
- Real Numbers - Types and Properties: Tutoring Solution
- Working with Linear Equations in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Working with Inequalities in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Absolute Value Equations in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Systems of Linear Equations in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Mathematical Modeling in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Introduction to Quadratics in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Working with Quadratic Functions in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Coordinate Geometry Review: Tutoring Solution
- Functions for Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Understanding Function Operations in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Graph Symmetry in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Graphing with Functions in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Basic Polynomial Functions in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Higher-Degree Polynomial Functions in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Rational Functions in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Rational Expressions & Function Graphs in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Exponential & Logarithmic Functions in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Trigonometric Functions: Tutoring Solution
- Geometry in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Triangle Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Working with Trigonometric Graphs: Tutoring Solution
- Trigonometric Equations: Tutoring Solution
- Working with Trigonometric Identities: Tutoring Solution
- Applications of Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Analytic Geometry & Conic Sections in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Vectors, Matrices & Determinants in Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Polar Coordinates & Parameterizations: Tutoring Solution
- Circular Arcs, Circles & Angles: Tutoring Solution