About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other SAT math work.
- Identify the data and statistics concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our SAT Mathematics Level 2 Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about data and statistics to prepare for the subject test. This resource can help students, including those who:
- Struggle with understanding relative and cumulative frequency tables, categorical and quantitative data, histograms, measures of central tendency, the interquartile range, simple linear regression or any other data and statistics topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their data and statistics unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to excel on the SAT mathematics level 2 subject test
- Don't have access to their math teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about data and statistics simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live math tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about data and statistics on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and re-watch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Review pie charts and bar graphs.
- Learn to summarize categorical data using tables.
- Study quantitative data, histograms, quartiles and the interquartile range.
- Find out how to calculate mean, median and range.
- Explain the relationship between two quantitative variables.
- Determine methods for making estimates and predictions using quantitative data.
- Understand the formula for simple linear regression.
1. Statistical Analysis with Categorical Data
Learn why percentages are so important when analyzing categorical data in this video lesson. Watch as the data is turned into a data table and a visual bar graph as ways to analyze the data.
2. Understanding Bar Graphs and Pie Charts
In this lesson, we will examine two of the most widely used types of graphs: bar graphs and pie charts. These two graphs can provide the reader with a comparison of the different data that is displayed.
3. Summarizing Categorical Data using Tables
Watch this video lesson to find out why data tables are an excellent way to summarize your categorical data. Learn what you need to do to your data before constructing a table and the two ways you can show your data.
4. How to Calculate Percent Increase with Relative & Cumulative Frequency Tables
In statistics, one way to describe and analyze data is by using frequency tables. This lesson will discuss relative and cumulative frequencies and how to calculate percent increase using these two methods.
5. What is a Two-Way Table?
Do you believe in Martians? Do you watch football on television? A Two-Way Table or Contingency Table is a great way to show the results of all kinds of survey questions. In this video we will learn how to read a two-way table.
6. Make Estimates and Predictions from Categorical Data
Categorical data can be estimated but not predicted. Learn why in this video lesson along with how to read and gather information from a bar graph of categorical data.
7. What is Quantitative Data? - Definition & Examples
Watch this video lesson to find out the difference between saying you have seven apples and saying that those apples are delicious. You will learn about quantitative data and why it is useful.
8. What is a Histogram in Math? - Definition & Examples
Watch this video lesson to see how useful a histogram can be when you need to show a bunch of data in an easy to read format. Also, learn how you can easily gather the information you need from looking at a histogram.
9. What are Center, Shape, and Spread?
Center, shape, and spread are all words that describe what a particular graph looks like. Watch this video lesson to see how you can identify and explain each.
10. How to Calculate Mean, Median, Mode & Range
Measures of central tendency can provide valuable information about a set of data. In this lesson, explore how to calculate the mean, median, mode and range of any given data set.
11. Describing the Relationship between Two Quantitative Variables
In this video lesson, you will learn about quantitative variables, what they are, and how one variable relates to another. You will learn why this is important and why it can sometimes even save lives.
12. Calculating the Standard Deviation
In this lesson, we will examine the meaning and process of calculating the standard deviation of a data set. Standard deviation can help to determine if the data set is a normal distribution.
13. Quartiles & the Interquartile Range: Definition, Formulate & Examples
Quartiles and the interquartile range can be used to group and analyze data sets. In this lesson, learn the definition and steps for finding the quartiles and interquartile range for a given data set.
14. Reading and Interpreting Line Graphs
Watch this video lesson to find out how useful line graphs can be and how much information you can gain just from looking at one. Learn how you can apply that information in your own life to help you make better decisions.
15. Making Estimates and Predictions using Quantitative Data
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can read a scatter plot to learn more about a particular situation. Also learn how you can make estimates within the range of data you have and predict what may happen outside the range of data.
16. Simple Linear Regression: Definition, Formula & Examples
Simple linear regression is a great way to make observations and interpret data. In this lesson, you will learn to find the regression line of a set of data using a ruler and a graphing calculator.
17. Problem Solving Using Linear Regression: Steps & Examples
Linear regression can be a powerful tool for predicting and interpreting information. Learn to use two common formulas for linear regression in this lesson.
18. Least-Squares Regression: Definition, Equations & Examples
In this lesson, we will explore least-squares regression and show how this method relates to fitting an equation to some data. Using examples, we will learn how to predict a future value using the least-squares regression method.
19. Zero Analysis: Definition & Concept
Zero analysis is a way of figuring out the answers to certain functions. In this lesson, you will see how to find the zeroes of polynomial functions. Learn how synthetic division helps you out.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Subject Test Mathematics Level 2: Tutoring Solution course
- SAT Math Level 2 Structure & Strategy: Tutoring Solution
- Basic Math Review: Tutoring Solution
- Square Roots: Tutoring Solution
- Basic Algebraic Expressions in Math: Tutoring Solution
- Exponents in Math: Tutoring Solution
- Vectors: Tutoring Solution
- Linear Equations & Inequalities in Algebra: Tutoring Solution
- Absolute Value Equations & Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- Polynomials in Algebra: Tutoring Solution
- Functions in Math: Tutoring Solution
- Rational Expressions in Algebra: Tutoring Solution
- Matrices: Tutoring Solution
- Sequences and Series in Math: Tutoring Solution
- Exponentials and Logarithms in Math: Tutoring Solution
- Complex Numbers in Math: Tutoring Solution
- Coordinate Geometry Basics: Tutoring Solution
- Graphing Linear Equations & Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- Advanced Coordinate Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- Three-Dimensional Geometry: Tutoring Solution
- Overview of Trigonometry: Tutoring Solution
- Probability, Combinations & Permutations: Tutoring Solution
- Logic: Tutoring Solution
- Limits in Math: Tutoring Solution