About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering GED math material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to prepare for the GED math exam. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding how to multiply binomials or factor and solve quadratic equations
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about working with quadratic equations
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Working with Quadratic Equations chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Working with Quadratic Equations chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any quadratic equations question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a quadratic equations unit of a standard high school math course. Topics covered include:
- Identifying parabolas in standard, intercept and vertex forms
- Using the FOIL and area methods to multiply binomials
- Factoring quadratic equations using FOIL in reverse
- Solving quadratic equations by factoring
- Solving quadratic trinomials by factoring
- Completing the square
1. What is a Parabola?
A parabola is the U shape that we get when we graph a quadratic equation. We actually see parabolas all over the place in real life. In this lesson, learn where, and the correct vocab to use when talking about them.
2. Parabolas in Standard, Intercept, and Vertex Form
By rearranging a quadratic equation, you can end up with an infinite number of ways to express the same thing. Learn about the three main forms of a quadratic and the pros and cons of each.
3. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL and the Area Method
From the distributive property, to FOIL, to the area model, to happy faces and claws, there are many different ways to learn how to multiply binomials. In this lesson, you'll learn how to use all of them and get to pick which one you like the most.
4. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL & the Area Method: Practice Problems
There are a few mistakes that are easy to make when multiplying binomials with FOIL and also a few ways to complicate problems like this, so why not make sure you're brushed up on your skills? You'll also learn a shortcut and how to use the area method to multiply even bigger polynomials.
5. How to Factor Quadratic Equations: FOIL in Reverse
So, you know how to multiply binomials with the FOIL method, but can you do it backwards? That's exactly what factoring is, and it can be pretty tricky. Check out this lesson to learn a method that will allow you to factor quadratic trinomials with a leading coefficient of 1.
6. Factoring Quadratic Equations: Polynomial Problems with a Non-1 Leading Coefficient
Once you get good at factoring quadratics with 1x squared in the front of the expression, it's time to try ones with numbers other than 1. It will be the same general idea, but there are a few extra steps to learn. Do that here!
7. Solving Quadratic Trinomials by Factoring
Factoring is a quick and easy way to find the solutions to a quadratic trinomial. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use this method to solve your quadratics.
8. How to Complete the Square
Completing the square can help you learn where the maximum or minimum of a parabola is. If you're running a business and trying to make some money, it might be a good idea to know how to do this! Find out what I'm talking about here.
9. Completing the Square Practice Problems
Completing the square is one of the most confusing things you'll be asked to do in an algebra class. Once you get the general idea, it's best to get in there and actually do a few practice problems to make sure you understand the process. Do that here!
10. How to Solve a Quadratic Equation by Factoring
If your favorite video game, 'Furious Fowls,' gave you the quadratic equation for each shot you made, would you be able to solve the equation to make sure every one hit its target? If not, you will after watching this video!
11. What is the Quadratic Formula? - Definition, Equation & Proof
The quadratic formula is a method that is used to find the roots of a quadratic equation. In this lesson, you will learn about the history of the quadratic formula, how to use it and prove it. A quiz at the end will solidify what you've learned.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GED Math: Help and Review course
- Basic Arithmetic: Help and Review
- Math Expressions and Formulas: Help and Review
- Solving Math Word Problems: Help and Review
- Decimals: Help and Review
- Fractions: Help and Review
- Percent Notation: Help and Review
- Calculations, Ratios & Proportions: Help and Review
- Data, Statistics & Probability: Help and Review
- Mechanics of Probability: Help and Review
- Overview of Real Numbers: Help and Review
- Series and Sequences: Help and Review
- Exponents and Exponential Expressions: Help and Review
- Overview of Exponents: Help and Review
- Logarithms and Exponentials: Help and Review
- Radical Expressions: Help and Review
- Algebraic Expressions and Equations: Help and Review
- Functions and Transformations: Help and Review
- Absolute Value and Matrices: Help and Review
- Solving & Graphing Inequalities: Help and Review
- Solving & Graphing Complex Numbers: Help and Review
- Algebraic Distribution: Help and Review
- Overview of Linear Equations: Help and Review
- Factoring: Help and Review
- Solving Polynomial Functions: Help and Review
- Quadratic Equations: Help and Review
- Working with Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- Measurement and the Metric System: Help and Review
- Geometry Topics: Help and Review