About This Chapter
2014 GED Mathematical Reasoning Exam: Working with Quadratic Equations - Chapter Summary
Study how to solve quadratic equations by factoring, completing the square and multiplying, among other methods. Our 2014 GED Mathematical Reasoning exam lessons can show you how to work with parabolas, multiply binomials and factor quadratic equations. The lessons cover topics on:
- The area method
- Quadratic trinomials
- Completing the square
These lessons contain several sample math problems with quizzes that simulate the actual questions you'll find on the 2014 GED exam. These lessons explain important concepts through example equations, illustrations and videos, so you'll be able to pass the 2014 GED Mathematical Reasoning exam.
2014 GED Mathematical Reasoning Exam Objectives
The recently modified 2014 GED exam is entirely computer based and now follows the Common Core State Standards. The mathematical reasoning component of the 2014 GED exam is one of four different subject tests. Algebraic problem solving - which includes quadratic equations - makes up 55% of the mathematical reasoning exam. Lessons in this chapter cover subjects you'll encounter on the actual 2014 GED Mathematical Reasoning exam. Lesson objectives include:
- Interpreting the value of parabolas in standard, intercept and vertex forms
- Multiplying binomials using FOIL and the area method
- Factoring quadratic equations
- Solving quadratic trinomials
- Completing the square
You'll have 90 minutes to finish the mathematical reasoning section of the 2014 GED exam. This test is broken into two parts: the first part is shorter and does not allow calculators, and the second part permits calculator use. The mathematical reasoning exam includes questions that are multiple choice, fill-in-the-blank, hot spot and drag-and-drop.
1. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL & the Area Method: Practice Problems
There are a few mistakes that are easy to make when multiplying binomials with FOIL and also a few ways to complicate problems like this, so why not make sure you're brushed up on your skills? You'll also learn a shortcut and how to use the area method to multiply even bigger polynomials.
2. Solving Quadratic Trinomials by Factoring
Factoring is a quick and easy way to find the solutions to a quadratic trinomial. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use this method to solve your quadratics.
3. How to Complete the Square
Completing the square can help you learn where the maximum or minimum of a parabola is. If you're running a business and trying to make some money, it might be a good idea to know how to do this! Find out what I'm talking about here.
4. Completing the Square Practice Problems
Completing the square is one of the most confusing things you'll be asked to do in an algebra class. Once you get the general idea, it's best to get in there and actually do a few practice problems to make sure you understand the process. Do that here!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the College Algebra: Help and Review course
- Basic Arithmetic
- Overview of Real Numbers
- Foundations and Linear Equations: Help and Review
- Overview of Linear Equations
- Matrices and Absolute Value: Help and Review
- Inequalities: Help and Review
- Using FOIL, Graphing Parabolas & Solving Quadratics to Factor: Help & Review
- Properties of Polynomial Functions
- Complex Numbers: Help and Review
- Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- Overview of Exponents
- Exponents and Polynomials: Help and Review
- Algebraic Expressions and Equations
- Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- Working with Rational Expressions
- Math Expressions and Formulas
- Functions: Help and Review
- Exponentials and Logarithms: Help and Review
- Probability Mechanics: Help and Review
- Calculations, Ratios & Proportions
- Percent Notation
- Data, Statistics & Probability
- Sequences and Series: Help and Review
- Basic Number Sense and Operations