About This Chapter
Working with Quadratic Functions Overview - Chapter Summary
Work through the comprehensive math chapter for an overview of quadratic functions. Taught by expert math instructors, these lessons clearly explain topics such as parabolas, quadratic equations and quadratic inequalities. Our instructors will also walk you through the steps needed to factor, solve and graph problems that involve quadratics. Studying these lessons can help you:
- Recognize and assess the pros and cons of parabolas in standard, vertex and intercept form
- Factor quadratic equations using the reverse FOIL method
- Know how to factor quadratic equations with a leading coefficient that isn't 1
- Use factoring to solve a quadratic equation
- Graph and solve quadratic inequalities
- Model a data set or real-world situation using quadratic functions
In addition to these video-based lessons, the chapter includes plenty of self-assessment quizzes to help you practice solving quadratic function problems. If you need any extra help, feel free to reach out to our instructors. The chapter is available 24/7 so you can study whenever it's convenient. Finally, we've made the chapter accessible on any device that has an Internet connection.
1. Parabolas in Standard, Intercept, and Vertex Form
By rearranging a quadratic equation, you can end up with an infinite number of ways to express the same thing. Learn about the three main forms of a quadratic and the pros and cons of each.
2. How to Factor Quadratic Equations: FOIL in Reverse
So, you know how to multiply binomials with the FOIL method, but can you do it backwards? That's exactly what factoring is, and it can be pretty tricky. Check out this lesson to learn a method that will allow you to factor quadratic trinomials with a leading coefficient of 1.
3. Factoring Quadratic Equations: Polynomial Problems with a Non-1 Leading Coefficient
Once you get good at factoring quadratics with 1x squared in the front of the expression, it's time to try ones with numbers other than 1. It will be the same general idea, but there are a few extra steps to learn. Do that here!
4. How to Solve a Quadratic Equation by Factoring
If your favorite video game, 'Furious Fowls,' gave you the quadratic equation for each shot you made, would you be able to solve the equation to make sure every one hit its target? If not, you will after watching this video!
5. Graphing & Solving Quadratic Inequalities: Examples & Process
When you finish watching this video lesson, you will be able to graph and solve your own quadratic inequality. Learn what steps you need to take and what to watch for.
6. Using Quadratic Functions to Model a Given Data Set or Situation
Watch this video lesson to learn how quadratic functions are used to model situations and data gathered from real world scenarios. See how our function fits our data and situation well.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the BITSAT Exam - Math: Study Guide & Test Prep course
- Expressions & Reasoning in Math
- Complex Numbers & Polynomials in Algebra
- Introduction to Quadratics
- Mathematical Sequences & Series Overview
- Series & Sequences Application
- Exponential Functions & Logarithmic Equations
- Binomial Theorem Overview
- Overview of Matrices & Determinants
- Sets & Relations in Math
- Introduction to Trigonometric Functions
- Trigonometric Identities Overview
- Real World Trigonometric Applications
- Operating with Functions
- Solving Inequalities
- Two-Dimensional Coordinate Geometry
- Straight Lines & Angles in Coordinate Geometry
- Circular Arc & Circles in Coordinate Geometry
- Conic Sections in Coordinate Geometry
- Three-Dimensional Coordinate Geometry
- Limits & Continuity in Differential Calculus
- Calculating Derivatives
- Differentiable Functions & Min-Max Problems
- Differentiability in Integral Calculus
- Overview of Probability in Calculus
- Vectors & Scalars in Math
- Dispersion & Frequency Distributions in Statistics
- Linear Programming & Systems of Equations
- Definite Integrals
- Permutation & Combination
- Mathematical Modeling Overview
- BITSAT Exam - Math Flashcards