About This Chapter
Working with Vectors - Chapter Summary
If you are interested in better understanding how to work with vectors, this chapter can help. Entertaining video lessons examine this subject matter in a fun and engaging manner. Access these lessons anytime to ensure you fully comprehend scalars, vector resolution, how to perform operations on vectors and much more. Upon completion of this chapter, you will be able to:
- Define and list types of vectors
- Differentiate between scalars and vectors
- Perform calculations that involve the scalar multiplication of vectors
- Subtract vectors geometrically and define vector resolution
- Split a vector into a vertical and horizontal component
- Add, subtract and multiply vectors in the plane
Lessons in this chapter are accessible in two formats: videos and transcripts. Videos average about 8 minutes each, and feature visual effects that make learning fun. Transcripts can be read online or printed and added to your offline study materials. Review these lessons as many times as you desire, and assess your comprehension of each by taking lesson quizzes. Send any questions you have about working with vectors to our experts.
1. What Is a Vector? - Definition & Types
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what vectors are in physics, give some examples of vectors and have a basic idea of how they can be manipulated mathematically. A short quiz will follow.
2. Scalars and Vectors: Definition and Difference
In this lesson, we will examine scalars and vectors, learn why it is important to know the difference between the two and why remembering to add a direction to many of your exam answers could be the reason you get it right or wrong.
3. Scalar Multiplication of Vectors: Definition & Calculations
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what scalar multiplication is and complete basic calculations involving the scalar multiplication of vectors. A short quiz will follow.
4. Vector Subtraction (Geometric): Formula & Examples
After watching this lesson, you will be able to subtract vectors geometrically and give examples of how that process might be used in physics. A short quiz will follow.
5. Vector Resolution: Definition & Practice Problems
After watching this lesson, you will be able to explain what vector resolution is and solve problems involving vector resolution. A short quiz will follow.
6. How to Do Vector Operations Using Components
After watching this lesson, you will understand how we analyze physics involving two-dimensional vectors and be able to split a vector at an angle into a vertical and horizontal component. A short quiz will follow.
7. Performing Operations on Vectors in the Plane
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to add, subtract, and multiply your vectors. Learn how easy it is to perform these operations and what you need to keep in mind when performing these operations.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the National Eligibility Test (AIPMT): Study Guide course
- Types of Scientific Measurement
- Kinematics Overview
- Laws of Motion Overview
- Understanding Work, Energy and Power
- Systems of Particles and Rigid Body Dynamics
- Orbital Mechanics
- Properties of Bulk Matter
- Perfect Gases and Kinetic Theory
- Oscillations & Waves
- Introduction to Electrostatics
- Physics of Electrical Circuits
- Electronic Components
- Magnetic Fields & Forces Overview
- Electromagnetic Induction & Alternating Currents
- Electromagnetic Waves
- Optics & Light
- Atoms, Isotopes & Radiation
- Foundations of Chemistry & Organic Chemistry
- Atomic Structure & Properties of Elements
- Molecular Structure & Chemical Bonds
- Properties of Gases and Liquids
- Thermodynamics Overview
- Equilibrium & Reactions
- Properties of Alkali & Alkaline Earth Metals
- Properties of p-Block Elements
- Hydrogen & Hydrocarbons
- Pollution & Environmental Hazards
- Solids & Solutions
- Electrochemistry, Surface Chemistry & Chemical Kinetics
- Properties of Periodic Table Groups
- Compounds & Chemical Reactions
- Biomolecules & Polymers
- Chemicals in Everyday Life
- Diversity & Classifications in Biology
- Biology of the Cell
- Basic Plant Physiology
- Basic Human Physiology
- Functions & Processes in Reproduction
- Genetics & Evolution
- Human Welfare & Diseases
- Applications of Biotechnology
- National Eligibility Test (AIPMT) Flashcards