About This Chapter
Workplace Health Issues - Chapter Summary
This chapter walks you through a number of workplace health issues. The brief but informative lessons help you understand topics such as the benefits of office ergonomics, including desktop, keyboard and mouse ergonomics. You'll also take a look at important employee safety issues. After you complete the chapter, you will also be able to do the following:
- Differentiate between different workplace risk programs
- Analyze the impact of alcoholism in the workplace
- Explore the effects of substance abuse at work
- Identify types of employee assistance programs
Use the self-assessment quiz that comes with each lesson to test your memory of the concepts you've reviewed. You can view the entire chapter on your computer or favorite mobile device. If you have any questions, our instructors are happy to help out.
1. Office Ergonomics: Definition & Benefits
This lesson looks at the importance of office ergonomics. We'll review what ergonomics is, ergonomic solutions, and the benefits of these solutions in addition to how these solutions affect productivity, cost, quality, morale, risk, and turnover.
2. Desktop Ergonomics: Definition & Optimization
The lesson will define the terms 'ergonomics' and 'desktop ergonomics' while discussing issues related with achieving optimal results. Included: monitor height and distance, chair height, desk height, and posture.
3. Keyboard & Mouse Ergonomics: Definition & Concept
When you work for long periods of time on your computer, this can put a strain on your body. Better designed peripherals can help reduce this strain. The field of ergonomics examines the interaction between humans and computers to improve the design of devices like keyboards and mice.
4. Employee Safety & Workplace Risk Programs
All companies have safety and workplace risks, which can result in minor pain or major injuries. This lesson discusses different types of workplace hazards, the purpose of creating safety programs, and what's involved in creating safety programs.
5. Alcoholism in the Workplace
Alcohol has a significant impact on performance, safety, and morale in the workplace. Alcohol consumption can have an impact even if a worker does not have a drinking problem. These impacts increase dramatically when alcohol abuse or alcoholism is present.
6. Substance Abuse in the Workplace: Impact, Assessment & Treatment
Substance abuse in the workplace not only affects the individual employee, but can have deleterious effects on coworkers and customers alike. Read this lesson to learn more about the negative impact substance abuse has on the workplace and what businesses can do to remedy this growing concern.
7. Employee Assistance Program: Definition & Benefits
In this lesson we will learn about employee assistance programs or EAPs. We will define the term and discover the many personal and workplace problems that can be helped through an EAP. We will then discuss the benefits of EAPs and conclude with a summary and a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Association of Legal Administrators CLM Exam: Study Guide course
- General Accounting Concepts
- Cost & Fixed Asset Accounting
- Organization Structures & Accounting
- Payroll Accounting
- Trust Accounting
- Banking & Investment Policies & Procedures
- Financing & Leasing in Accounting
- Financial Analysis & Reporting
- Budgeting & Model Building
- Principles of Business Planning
- Business Development
- Overview of Project Management
- Legal Industry Ethics, Liabilities & Insurance
- Introduction to Technology for Law Firms
- Law Office Facilities Management
- Employee Hiring & Promotion
- Employee Compensation & Benefits
- Employee Training & Motivation
- Employee Performance Appraisal & Management
- Styles of Leadership
- Organizational Development & Management
- Association of Legal Administrators CLM Exam Flashcards