About This Chapter
Workplace Motivation, Satisfaction & Performance - Chapter Summary
Increasing motivation and employee satisfaction on the job can also increase performance, but it takes active managerial promotion and development to make it happen. Get your managers on board with these videos from our experienced instructors. The lessons in this chapter cover:
- The motivation/performance link
- Job satisfaction and dissatisfaction
- Reward systems
- Employee empowerment
Each video is brief - under 10 minutes long - and contains expert instruction accompanied by interesting graphics for a memorable corporate training experience. You can gauge your managerial staff's synthesis of key ideas by having them complete the chapter quiz. Complete the training as a group team-building exercise and highlight organization-specific standards as you go.
How It Helps
- Increases productivity: Happy employees are productive employees, and knowledgeable managers build the environment for such employees.
- Decreases turnover: These lessons will help your managers identify and address employee dissatisfaction. as well as reward productivity, leading to an employee base that sticks with the company through thick and thin.
- Expands ownership: As your managers actively work to empower their employees, each employee will take greater pride and ownership of their work, creating a climate of responsibility and professionalism.
By the end of this chapter, managerial employees will be able to:
- Describe the connections between workplace motivation and employee performance
- Define and identify factors of job satisfaction
- Recognize signs and causes of job dissatisfaction
- Encourage good employee behavior through effective rewards systems
- Empower employees to improve performance
1. What is Job Satisfaction: Definition, Causes and Factors
Job satisfaction is more of a journey, not a destination, as it applies to both employees and the employer. As we will see in this lesson, there is no definitive way to measure job satisfaction or to ensure it.
2. Job Dissatisfaction: Causes, Reasons and Employee Responses
There is a level of job satisfaction for each person and each job performed. Problems occur when people are not happy with their jobs. In this lesson, we will look at causes for job dissatisfaction as well as employee responses.
3. Reward Systems & Employee Behavior: Intrinsic & Extrinsic Rewards
Have you ever wondered why some employees are more motivated than others to work at a higher level of productivity? This lesson explains how managers use intrinsic and extrinsic rewards to reinforce positive employee behavior.
4. How to Empower Employees & Improve Employee Performance
Empowered employees have the potential to reach high levels of productivity because they feel in control of their jobs. This lesson will describe how a manager can empower an employee to motivate employee performance.
5. Practical Application: Employee Empowerment Scenarios
Empowered employees are happy and productive employees. Here, you'll find three hypothetical scenarios where you need to write down your plan for empowering a struggling employee.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.