About This Chapter
Workplace Organizational Structure - Chapter Summary
There are many connections that exist between an organization's design, structure and strategy. Take a look at these simple business lessons to review these connections, as well as basic concepts related to an organization's culture and goals. You'll also get an overview of various organizational designs, such as simple, functional, divisional, matrix, team and network designs. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Recognize the elements of organizational structure and design
- Compare types of traditional and contemporary organizational designs
- Discuss the relationship between organizational strategy and structure
- Analyze examples of organizational goals
- Evaluate the characteristics of organizational culture
The chapter's online format makes it easy to study these topics whenever you have free time in your schedule. As you work through the lessons, take the accompanying assessments to see how well you grasp the information. The chapter concludes with a multiple-choice exam, and we encourage you to use the Ask the Expert feature if you have any questions. We've also included word-for-word transcripts that you can print.
1. Organizational Design and Structure
There is a relationship between organizational design and structure because of different factors. Organizational size, organizational life cycle, strategy, environment and technology work together to form a complete organization.
2. Types of Traditional Organizational Designs: Simple, Functional & Divisional Designs
Choosing an organizational structure is an ongoing design process. In this lesson, you will learn to identify types of traditional organizational designs, including simple, functional and divisional designs.
3. Types of Contemporary Organizational Designs: Matrix, Team & Network Designs
Choosing an organizational structure is an ongoing design process. In this lesson, you will learn to identify types of contemporary organizational designs, including matrix, team and network designs.
4. Strategy and Organizational Structure
In this lesson you will learn the three different elements to organizational strategy and which organizational structures work best for each of these elements.
5. What Are Organizational Goals? - Definition, Types & Examples
This lesson is an in-depth review of organizational goals. It will give you an idea of the different types of goals, show examples of organizational goals, and discuss how each can be measured for success.
6. What is Organizational Culture? - Definition & Characteristics
In this lesson, you will learn what organizational culture is and how it dictates behavior in organizations. You'll also explore the seven values that define the culture of an organization.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the aPHR Certification Exam Study Guide - Associate Professional in Human Resources course
- Human Resource Operations
- Human Resource Metrics
- HR Data Tools & Collection
- Business Records Management
- Technology & Information Systems for Human Resources
- Job Design & Performance Metrics
- Functions & Types of Business Management
- Workplace Communication Techniques
- Hiring, Recruiting & Outsourcing for Human Resources
- Compensation Systems, Benefits & Incentive Programs
- Role of HR in Employee Training & Development
- Performance Appraisal in Business Management
- Employee Relations & Recognition Programs
- Employee Feedback
- Overview of Employee Rights & Employment Law
- Employee Behavior in the Workplace
- Employee Discipline & Termination
- Employee Health, Safety & Security
- aPHR Certification Exam Study Guide - Associate Professional in Human Resources Flashcards