About This Chapter
World-Class Instructional Design & Assessment - Chapter Summary & Learning Objectives
If you need to review WIDA standards for work or an upcoming exam, check out this collection of informative articles. These articles will teach you about the following:
- WIDA standards
- WIDA's English proficiency levels
- WIDA Can Do Descriptors for kindergarten through 8th grade
These articles can improve your WIDA knowledge because:
- They're authoritative: These articles are well-researched and accurate.
- They're convenient: The articles can be accessed on any computer or mobile device, which helps you review them whenever you have free time to read.
- They're useful: This article collection helps you quickly learn the essentials of WIDA standards, proficiency levels and Can Do Descriptors.
- They're concise: The articles apply a simple and easy-to-follow writing style.
1. What Are WIDA Standards?
WIDA standards are designed to help measure the academic progress of English language learners. Keep reading for more information on these standards and how they are used in the classroom.
2. How to Use the WIDA Standards
What's WIDA? How does it mesh with Common Core and state standards? How do you use it? In this lesson, you will learn the basics of WIDA standards and how to use them to help English Language Learners in the classroom.
3. WIDA�s English Proficiency Level Definitions
The ability to define WIDA's proficiency levels is key to working as an English language teacher. In this lesson, we'll use a real-life scenario to explore WIDA's six levels of English proficiency.
4. WIDA Can Do Descriptors for Kindergarten
CAN DO Descriptors for kindergarten contain specific examples of tasks that students should be able to complete. Read on for more information on these standards for ELL students.
5. WIDA Can Do Descriptors for Grade 1
WIDA Can Do Descriptors for first graders include a number of tasks that ELL students should be able to accomplish. Read on for more information on how these descriptors are organized and what types of tasks they include.
6. WIDA Can Do Descriptors for Grade 2
WIDA Can Do Descriptors provide examples of classroom activities that ELL students should be able to complete at each level. Read on for more specific information on these expectations.
7. WIDA Can Do Descriptors for Grades 3-5
WIDA's Can Do Descriptors serve as guidelines for English proficiency by age group and grade; these help educators develop appropriate lessons, assessments and goals for their English Language Learning (ELL) students. Check out this article for an overview of the grade 3-5 Can Do Descriptors.
8. WIDA Can Do Descriptors for Grades 6-8
WIDA Can Do Descriptors for middle schoolers lay out a series of activities and tasks to chart the progress of ELL students. Keep reading for more information on the types of tasks that students are expected to complete and how they are organized.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTEL Sheltered English Immersion: Practice & Study Guide course
- Federal & MA State Legislation for ELL Instruction
- Teaching Diverse English Language Learner Populations
- Culturally Inclusive Teaching in ELL Classrooms
- Family & Community Involvement in Culturally Inclusive Education
- Linguistics & Language Acquisition
- Second Language Acquisition in ELL Classrooms
- Encouraging Listening & Speaking Skills Development in ELL Classrooms
- Sheltering Content for ELL Instruction
- Instructional Strategies for Teaching Academic Language
- Teaching Basic Reading Skills to English Language Learners
- Teaching Reading Comprehension Skills to ELL Students
- Teaching Writing Skills to ELL Students
- Standards-Based Learning for MA ELL Students
- ELL Assessment in Massachusetts