About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the World Music chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||East Asian music|
West Asian music
|Scales, pentatonic, instruments, melodies|
Improvision, semitones, melismatic singing, drones
|Tuesday||West African music||Rhythmic complexity, dance, instruments|
|Wednesday||Eastern European music||Mixed meter, instruments, modal|
|Thursday||Latin music||Dance, influence from other continents, instruments|
|Friday||Music of Polynesia and Australia||Australian aboriginal music, Polynesian vocal music, instruments|
1. Music of East Asia: Scales, Themes, Instruments & Characteristics
In this lesson, you will explore the musical traditions of East Asia and discover the musical scales, characteristics, and instruments of this regions. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
2. Music of West Asia: Tones, Drones, Instruments & Characteristics
West Asia is one of the oldest continually inhabited regions in the world, and it has rich musical traditions. Explore the defining characteristics of West Asian music in this lesson, and then test your understanding with a brief quiz.
3. Music of West Africa: Rhythms, Dance, Instruments & Characteristics
In this lesson, explore the musical traditions of West Africa and discover how rhythms and melodies interact to create a complex song structure. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
4. Music of Eastern Europe: Mixed Meter, Modes, Instruments & Characteristics
In this lesson, you will explore the musical traditions of Eastern Europe, and discover common traits in the meters, modes, instruments, and other characteristics. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
5. Latin Music: Rhythm, Dance, Instruments & Characteristics
Latin music is becoming more and more popular in the United States and it's really not hard to see or hear why. Explore the basic traits of Latin music and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
6. Music of Oceania: Characteristics and Instruments of Polynesian Voice & Australian Aboriginal Music
Oceania is full of various musical traditions. In this lesson, explore the distinct musical styles of Polynesia and Australia, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Intro to Humanities Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Literary Terms & Techniques Lesson Plans
- Literary Time Periods Lesson Plans
- Literature of the Middle Ages Lesson Plans
- The English Renaissance Lesson Plans
- Victorian Era Literature Lesson Plans
- British Romanticism Lesson Plans
- Romantic Poetry Lesson Plans
- Literary Modernism Lesson Plans
- 20th Century British Literature Lesson Plans
- World Literature: Drama Lesson Plans
- Poetry of the Ancient & Modern Worlds Lesson Plans
- Prominent American Novelists Lesson Plans
- Philosophy & Nonfiction Lesson Plans
- History of Visual Art Lesson Plans
- History of Architecture Lesson Plans
- Elements of Music Lesson Plans
- Opera & Orchestral Music Lesson Plans
- Medieval Music Lesson Plans
- Renaissance Music Lesson Plans
- The Baroque Period in Music Lesson Plans
- The Classical Period in Music Lesson Plans
- The Romantic Period in Music Lesson Plans
- Modern Era Music Lesson Plans
- Jazz Music Lesson Plans
- Musical Theater & Popular Music Lesson Plans
- Introduction to the Performing Arts Lesson Plans