About This Chapter
World Religions & Beliefs - Chapter Summary
This chapter offers resources to help you instruct students on world religions and beliefs. Lessons cover key figures in Jewish religious history, the evolution of Brahmanism into Hinduism and the life and teachings of Buddha, among other topics. The engaging lessons can be shown in class to help students understand different world religions. Because all of our learning materials are developed by expert instructors, you can have confidence that what you're teaching is accurate.
How It Helps
- Assesses understanding: Our lesson quizzes and chapter test provide you with a handy way to check how well your students understand these world religion topics.
- Eases planning: These lessons are accessible at any time on your mobile device or computer, so you can plan your world religion lessons any time that works well for you.
- Promotes discussion: Use the lessons or quiz questions as conversation starters to engage students in classroom discussion.
When you use this chapter, your students should be able to:
- Outline the origins and significance of Judaism
- Identify key figures in Jewish religious history
- Detail the elements and history of the Jewish belief system
- Discuss the beliefs of Brahmanism and its evolution into early Hinduism
- Describe the Hindu belief system
- Asses the moral teachings and life of Buddha
- Explain the spread of Buddhism in Tang China
- Provide a history of Confucianism and its beliefs
- Discuss the Tao-Te Ching and the origins of Taoism
- Outline the origin of Christianity
1. Judaism: Origins & Significance
Judaism is one of the world's oldest religions, largely due to its ability to travel, but it has had an even greater influence on two other world religions, Christianity and Islam.
2. Who Was Moses? - Story & History
Moses is one of the main characters of the Hebrew Bible. A historical figure of great importance, his personality and actions helped set the tone for the three great religions of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
3. The Jewish Belief System: Description, Elements & History
This lesson will explore the ancient religion of Judaism, the faith of the Jewish people. In doing so, it will highlight the concept of monotheism, Yahweh's covenant with Abraham and the Jewish texts of law.
4. Brahmanism: Beliefs & Evolution into Early Hinduism
Brahmanism predates every other contemporary religion in India, but has had an impact, directly or indirectly, on all of them. This lesson discusses the mysterious past of Brahmanism and how Hinduism evolved from it.
5. The Hindu Belief System: Dharma, Karma, and Moksha
This lesson will explore the Hindu belief system by explaining the concepts of karma, dharma and moksha. It will also highlight the importance of atman within the Hindu faith.
6. Buddha: Life & Moral Teachings
With hundreds of millions of believers, Buddhism is one of the most influential religious traditions in the world. Learn more about its founder, his surprising early life and his basic teachings.
7. Confucianism: Definition, Beliefs & History
Confucianism is an ancient philosophy of respect and kindness. Learn about the history of Confucianism, including its philosophy and founder. Then, test your understanding of the subject with a short quiz.
8. The Origins of Taoism: History, the Uncarved Block & Tao-Te Ching
This lesson will seek to explain the rather nebulous founding of Taoism. In doing so, it will explore the concepts of the Tao and the Pu, while also highlighting the role Lao-tzu played in the formation of this ancient Eastern philosophy.
9. Christianity: Origin & Teachings
Learn about the origins of Christianity and how the death of Jesus launched an entire religion. Discover the key teachings of Christianity. See how much you've picked up by taking a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Middle School Social Studies Teacher Resources course
- Early Hominin Evolution
- Ancient Sumerian Cities & Culture
- Ancient Mesopotamian Empires
- Ancient Egyptian Culture & Structures
- Life in Ancient India
- Life in Ancient China
- Ancient Greece Culture & Politics
- Ancient Roman Empire
- European Life in the Middle Ages
- The Empires of Rome
- Religion & Culture of Islam
- The Christian Crusades
- Early West African Culture & Development
- Imperial China Overview
- Life in Medieval Japan
- The Maya, Aztec & Inca Peoples
- European Renaissance Overview
- The European Protestant Reformation
- Exploration of the New World
- Origins of Modern Science
- The Enlightenment Era
- European Exploration of the Americas
- The First Colonies in America
- The American Revolution Causes & Consequences
- Early American Government Origins & Documents
- Origins of the American Republic
- The Jefferson Presidency in America
- The Jackson Presidency in America
- American Expansion of the 1800s
- American Reform Movements in the 1800s
- Origins of the American Civil War
- Overview of the United States Civil War
- The Civil War Reconstruction Era
- The Second Industrial Revolution in the USA
- American Imperialism & The Progressive Era
- The United States & WWI
- American Life in the 1920s
- The Great Depression, New Deal & The USA
- The United States & WWII
- America During the Cold War
- USA Presidents & Movements of the 1960s & 1970s
- Contemporary American Movements & Presidents