About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in Worth Publishers The Biology of Mind chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover biology of mind topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Fundamentals of biological psychology
- Structure and function of neurons
- How neurotransmitters work
- Components and functions of the nervous system
- Function and structure of the central and peripheral nervous systems
- Function and components of the endocrine system
- Parts of the brain
- The parts of the brain stem
- Brain structures and their functions
- Functions of the left and right brain hemispheres
Worth Publishers is a registered trademark of Macmillan Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Intro to Biological Psychology
What are the biological factors that affect our behavior? In this lesson, you'll take a look at biological psychology, which looks at the interplay between biological processes and mental states.
2. The Structure and Function of Neurons
In this video lesson, you'll learn about neurons, which are specialized cells in the nervous system. Check out how far neurons can send signals throughout the body and how depolarization is much like 'the wave' at a football game.
3. What is a Neurotransmitter? - Definition, Types, Function & Examples
How do our bodies communicate with our brains and vice versa? In this video, you'll see how neurons and neurotransmitters can be likened to billions of tiny baseball players engaged in a non-stop game of catch.
4. Nervous System Overview: Central & Peripheral
What happens in your nervous system when you react to stimuli? Did you know that the brain is sometimes uninvolved with reflexes? Find out the answer to these questions, and more, in this lesson on the human nervous system.
5. The Central and Peripheral Nervous Systems
Did you know that hammerhead sharks and platypuses share a special type of sensory neuron that humans and most other animals don't have? In this lesson, you'll find out what that sensory neuron and a whole lot of others can do. You'll also learn how the nervous system is organized and the differences between the central and peripheral nervous systems.
6. Endocrine System Function & Hormone Regulation
Our hormones play a big part in how we feel and behave throughout the day. Hormones also affect important bodily functions. What other functions do our hormones regulate? Find out in this lesson on the endocrine system!
7. Parts of the Brain
Is there a way to easily remember the many parts of the brain? Don't be afraid of all these complex terms; this lesson outlines some easy and fun phrases to help you memorize the brain's anatomy. Let's take a look.
8. Parts of the Brain Stem: The Medulla Oblongata and Pons
In this lesson, we'll learn how you are able to breathe without even thinking about it. You'll also find out why you breathe faster when you run. Finally, we'll learn where things as diverse as sneezing and blood pressure are controlled.
9. Brain Structures and Functions Part I
The brain's complexity can often be difficult to understand because it serves so many important functions. In this lesson, you'll get a little help from Nrr, the alien biologist, who will guide you through understanding the structure and functions of the human brain.
10. The Cerebral Cortex: Brain Structures and Functions Part II
Check out this video lesson to learn about the four lobes of the human brain - the frontal, parietal, occipital and temporal. You'll learn about the functions and processes of each region.
11. What is Neuroplasticity? - Definition & Examples
Is your brain preprogrammed and unchangeable or adaptive and malleable? As you watch this video, you'll explore how the brain, a more resilient and resourceful machine than any computer, responds to damage and new experiences.
12. The Brain Hemispheres: Left Brain/Right Brain Communication and Control
Ever heard of a split personality? How about a split brain? Well, we can't be sure about the personality one, but brains can be split in two! In this lesson, you'll learn that and much more on how the brain communicates within itself.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Worth Publishers Psychology: Online Textbook Help course
- Worth Publishers Psychology Prologue: The Story of Psychology
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 1: Thinking Critically With Psychological Science
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 3: Consciousness and the Two-Track Mind
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 4: Nature, Nurture, and Human Diversity
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 5: Developing Through the Life Span
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 6: Sensation and Perception
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 7: Learning
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 8: Memory
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 9: Thinking & Language
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 10: Intelligence
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 11: What Drives Us
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 12: Emotions, Stress, and Health
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 13: Personality
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 14: Social Psychology
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 15: Psychological Disorders
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 16: Therapy