About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in Worth Publishers Thinking and Language chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the thinking and language topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will study:
- Creativity, brainstorming, convergent and divergent thinking
- Types of problems and strategies for solving them
- Biases and judgment errors in decision making
- Animal cognition and how it is similar to human cognition
- Definition of language
- Language acquisition
- How animals communicate
- Relationship between thinking and language
Worth Publishers is a registered trademark of Macmillan Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Cognitive Thinking: Creativity, Brainstorming and Convergent & Divergent Thinking
Creativity is useful in almost any situation, but how is creativity defined? This lesson covers the definition of creativity and discusses how creativity requires several different types of thinking, including divergent thinking and synthetic, analytic, and practical intelligence. This lesson also defines and describes brainstorming.
2. Types of Problems & Problem Solving Strategies
We solve hundreds of small problems everyday. This lesson covers different types of problems, such as routine vs. non-routine, and many of the different problem-solving strategies we use, including algorithms, heuristics, graphic representations and the IDEAL Strategy.
3. Types of Heuristics: Availability, Representativeness & Base-Rate
Did you know that our brain uses strategies to process information and draw conclusions? Although we're able to reach conclusions through these mental strategies, sometimes, our reasoning can be off. Read on to discover how our brain draws these conclusions and why they can be wrong.
4. Common Biases and Judgment Errors in Decision Making
In order for companies to be successful they have to be able to learn from their mistakes. One way they can do that is to identify biases and errors that might occur during decision making.
5. Animal Cognition and Its Similarities to Human Cognition
In this lesson you willl learn about the relationship between animal cognition and human cognition. You will discover how some animal species demonstrate surprising abilities. You will also learn to avoid jumping to conclusions when it comes to understanding animal behavior.
6. What Is Language?
Have you ever wondered how human language is constructed to form meaning? Why is language more complex than animal calls? In this lesson, we'll take a look at the basic units language and learn how meaning is formed.
7. Language Acquisition: Definition, Theories & Stages
Have you ever wondered how humans are able to learn, process, comprehend and speak a language? In this lesson on language acquisition, we'll take a look at some distinctions between languages and learn how babies come to understand and speak a language.
8. Animal Communication & Language
In this lesson we will discuss the difference between communication and language, examine whether animals have the capacity for language, and look at examples of animal communication.
9. Relationship Between Thinking & Language
What language do you think in? Whether we are aware of it or not, language deeply impacts how we think. In this lesson, we are going to explore that relationship and consider the implications of how language influences the mind.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Worth Publishers Psychology: Online Textbook Help course
- Worth Publishers Psychology Prologue: The Story of Psychology
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 1: Thinking Critically With Psychological Science
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 2: The Biology of Mind
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 3: Consciousness and the Two-Track Mind
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 4: Nature, Nurture, and Human Diversity
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 5: Developing Through the Life Span
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 6: Sensation and Perception
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 7: Learning
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 8: Memory
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 10: Intelligence
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 11: What Drives Us
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 12: Emotions, Stress, and Health
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 13: Personality
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 14: Social Psychology
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 15: Psychological Disorders
- Worth Publishers Psychology Chapter 16: Therapy