About This Chapter
Writing Development & Digital Tools - Chapter Summary
The ability to write effectively and utilize digital technology are skills needed for success in today's society. This chapter offers engaging video and text lessons you can review to better understand how to teach these skills to students. Examine how children develop writing skills, and explore ways to teach students of today's digital generation how to use technology. After completing this chapter, you will be ready to:
- List and describe the seven major steps in writing development
- Share activities for each stage of the writing process
- Detail how to adapt writing instruction to all learners
- Differentiate between word processing and desktop publishing software
- Explain how teachers can understand and teach students from the digital generation
- Discuss tips for teaching digital literacy to students
Don't let a busy schedule deter you from reviewing the lessons in this chapter. Flexible accessibility ensures you can enhance your knowledge of writing development and digital tools whenever convenient. Revisit the lessons as often as you'd like until you feel confident you've gained full comprehension of the concepts covered. If you need additional confirmation, test that comprehension by taking short quizzes and chapter exam.
1. Patterns of Writing Development for Children
How do children go from scribbling randomly on a page to writing words and sentences and paragraphs? In this lesson, we'll answer that question as we explore the seven major steps in writing development.
2. The Writing Process: Stages & Activities
Writers don't just sit down and write; they go through a process to perfect their writing. In this lesson, we'll look at the writing process and how teachers can use it in their classrooms, including specific activities for each stage.
3. How to Differentiate Writing Instruction for Students
How can teachers reach all learners during writing instruction? This lesson highlights several strategies to differentiate writing instruction and gives examples of how each is used in the classroom.
4. Desktop Publishing & Word Processing Software: MS Word, InDesign & WordPerfect
Word processing software is used to manipulate text and apply a basic design to your pages. More sophisticated design can be accomplished using desktop publishing software. Learn about the functionality of these two types of application software.
5. Understanding and Teaching the Digital Generation
Teaching in the 21st century means that your students belong to the digital generation. These students learn in different ways and this lesson will help you teach and understand them better.
6. Teaching Digital Literacy in the Classroom
Digital literacy is an important skill for your students to learn. This lesson will provide strategies and tips for teaching digital literacy in your classroom.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Praxis Elementary Education - Multiple Subjects (5001): Practice & Study Guide course
- Overview of Phonics Education
- Fluency in Education
- Speaking & Listening
- Words, Phrases & Language
- Elements of Literary Texts
- Informational Texts & Text Complexity
- Overview of Writing Types
- Characteristics of Effective Writing
- English Grammar & Grammatical Errors
- Writing Research & Citation
- World Exploration & Colonization
- Road to the American Revolution
- The American Revolution
- Major Events in U.S. History
- 20th Century Developments in the U.S.
- Overview of Government Systems
- Basic Economics
- Historical Documents of the United States
- Principles of American Democracy
- Basics of Human Geography
- Major Contributions of Classical Societies
- 20th Century Developments in World History
- The History of the European Union
- Interpreting History from Different Perspectives
- Place Value System
- Rational Number Operations & Properties
- Representing Rational Numbers & Operations
- Proportional Relationships & Percents
- Number Theory & Mathematical Reasoning
- Introduction to Algebraic Expressions
- Solving Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Mathematical Patterns
- Fundamentals of Geometric Figures & Angles
- 2D & 3D Shapes
- Finding Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Coordinate Plane
- Solving Real World Math Problems
- Statistical Concepts
- Measurement and the Metric System
- Data Display Methods
- Circle, Bar & Line Graphs
- Probability Concepts
- Scientific Thinking & Research
- Structure of Matter
- Basics of Forces & Motion
- Work, Power & Energy
- Interactions of Energy & Matter
- Overview of Geomorphology
- Earth & the Solar System
- Earth Patterns, Cycles & Change
- Basic Components of Living Things
- Change in Living Things
- Biodiversity, Adaptation & Classification
- Personal Nutrition & Health Problems
- Praxis Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects Flashcards