About This Chapter
Writing & Editing Written Work - Chapter Summary
This English composition chapter helps you refresh your writing and editing knowledge and skills. These simple and engaging video lessons focus on a variety of methods related to the writing and editing of written works. You'll take a look at concepts related to paragraphs, sentences, word choice and much more. When you're finished with the chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain how structure can affect the meaning of a piece of writing
- Compare paragraph forms
- Write strong thesis statements, transitional sentences, transitions, essay bodies and conclusions
- Describe the impact that word choice can have on meaning and tone
- Edit for mechanics and content
- Identify coordination, subordination, comparison, correlation and parallelism errors
When you're finished with each lesson, you can take a short quiz that helps you practice strengthening your writing and editing capabilities. The chapter also comes with an Ask the Expert feature that allows you to submit any questions you may have about these concepts. Work through the chapter at your own pace, and use any computer or mobile device to access these study materials.
1. What is Structure in Writing and How Does it Affect Meaning?
In this lesson, we will define the role of structure in literature. From there, we will look at the different ways to structure fiction and how it affects the meaning.
2. How to Write a Thesis Statement
Find yourself confounded by thesis statements? Writing an excellent thesis statement doesn't require magic or luck, but it does require a few key elements we'll lay out for you in the lesson that follows.
3. Paragraph Form: Definition, Types & Examples
Learn about the paragraph form and how to construct a paragraph. Find out how the paragraph form is similar to the essay form, then take a quiz to test your new skills.
4. How to Write Strong Transitions and Transitional Sentences
Transitions are the words and sentences that tie a work of writing together. They guide the reader from idea to idea, making connections that turns pieces into a whole. Find out more in this lesson.
5. How to Write a Strong Essay Body
This video will show you how to achieve unified, coherent body paragraphs in your essays. By creating well-developed body paragraphs, your essays will be cleaner, sharper and earn you a better grade!
6. How To Write Effective Conclusions: Importance and Elements
Follow this easy method to write a wonderful conclusion to your paper. Here you will find everything you need, including some most excellent writing tips!
7. Impact of Word Choice on Meaning and Tone
In this lesson, you'll learn how authors can influence the meaning and the emotional effect of a sentence just by choosing the right words or by making references and comparisons. You'll learn the appropriate literary terms along with examples for each.
8. Editing for Mechanics: Definition & Concept
Find out what 'editing for mechanics' means and how to apply it to your writing. Learn what to look for when you're editing for mechanics, and then take a quiz to test your new skills.
9. How to Edit and Improve Essay Content
Going back through an essay that you've written in order to make substantive content improvements can be a daunting task. Fortunately, there are some basic principles that you can apply to whip your essay into shape.
10. How to Identify Errors in Coordination & Subordination
Watch this video lesson to learn how to expand the sentences in your writing to create much more complex works using two methods: subordination and coordination.
11. How to Identify Errors in Comparison, Correlation & Parallelism
Ever write something that sounded just a bit off? You might be making simple errors with comparison, correlation and parallelism. Watch this video lesson to learn about these concepts and how to avoid misusing them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SHSAT: Practice & Study Guide course
- Reading Comprehension Approaches
- Practice Analyzing & Interpreting Texts
- SHSAT Math: Basic Arithmetic Operations
- SHSAT Math: Divisibility
- SHSAT Math: Number Properties
- SHSAT Math: Number Theory
- SHSAT Math: Factoring
- SHSAT Math: Estimation & Rounding
- SHSAT Math: Whole Numbers
- SHSAT Math: Simplifying Expressions
- SHSAT Math: Negative Numbers
- SHSAT Math: Absolute Value
- SHSAT Math: Integers
- SHSAT Math: Rational Numbers
- SHSAT Math: Inequalities
- SHSAT Math: Operations with Decimals
- SHSAT Math: Introduction to Fractions
- SHSAT Math: Operations with Fractions
- SHSAT Math: Percents
- SHSAT Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- SHSAT Math: Roots & Radical Expressions
- SHSAT Math: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- SHSAT Math: Algebraic Distribution
- SHSAT Math: Simplifying & Solving Rational Expressions
- SHSAT Math: The Coordinate Graph
- SHSAT Math: Linear Equations
- SHSAT Math: Systems of Linear Equations
- SHSAT Math: Properties of Functions
- SHSAT Math: Graphing Functions
- SHSAT Math: Solving Word Problems
- SHSAT Math: Introduction to Geometric Figures
- SHSAT Math: Triangles
- SHSAT Math: Quadrilaterals
- SHSAT Math: Circles
- SHSAT Math: Circular Arcs & Measurement
- SHSAT Math: Polyhedrons & Geometric Solids
- SHSAT Math: Symmetry, Similarity & Congruence
- SHSAT Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- SHSAT Math: Similar Polygons
- SHSAT Math: The Pythagorean Theorem
- SHSAT Math: Units of Measurement
- SHSAT Math: Perimeter & Area
- SHSAT Math: Data & Graphs
- SHSAT Math: Probability
- SHSAT Math: Statistics
- SHSAT Math: Rates, Ratios & Proportions
- SHSAT Math: Consumer Math
- SHSAT Math: Number Sequences
- SHSAT Math: Sets & Subsets
- SHSAT Flashcards