About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning how to write in French will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn writing rules, styles, and phrases in French. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding French writing concepts
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning French (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about writing in French
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra French learning resources
How It Works:
- Find lessons in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Watch the video or read through the text lesson.
- Refer to the transcripts or specific lesson sections to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Writing in French chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Writing in French chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any French writing question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos and read text lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a writing unit of a standard French course. Topics covered include:
- French capitalization and punctuation rules
- Phrases for writing letters in French
- French writing style
- Tips for writing in French
- Writing formal letters in French
- French address formatting
- How to write dates in French
1. French Capitalization Rules
Nothing can betray your non-native status more than your misuse of capitals letters, which can be tricky in French. Now don't waste a minute, read this lesson, and by the end of it, you'll be ready to capitalize like a French person!
2. French Letter Writing Phrases
In this lesson, we will go over common phrases to use when writing letters in French, including formal and informal greetings, as well as several closing salutations, which also vary according to formality.
3. French Punctuation Marks & Rules
This lesson will provide an overview of punctuation use in French. We will go over the names of some common marks and symbols as well as discuss some central guidelines for using punctuation correctly in French.
4. How to Write a Formal Letter in French
In France, formal letters are used often, as they engage people's responsibility and are thus considered as legally binding. Using a simple, reusable template, learn how to write a formal letter in French, without spending hours on it!
5. Writing Dates in French
When you fill out a form or 'formulaire' in French, you will often have to include dates, such as your birthdate or today's date. This is an important lesson to prevent you from making mistakes when you write dates in numerical and word form.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Basic French: Help & Review course
- Basic French Vocabulary
- Basic French Spelling & Pronunciation
- French Sentence Structure
- French Nouns & Pronouns
- Basic French Verbs
- French Verb Tenses & Conjugation
- French Adjectives & Adverbs
- French Expressions
- Places in French: Vocabulary & Phrases
- Animals in French: Vocabulary & Phrases
- Jobs in French: Vocabulary & Phrases
- Food in French: Vocabulary & Phrases
- Culture in French: Vocabulary & Phrases
- The Home in French: Vocabulary & Phrases
- Sports & Activities in French: Vocabulary & Phrases