About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other comprehensive English work.
- Identify the writing mechanics concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our NY Regents Exam - Comprehensive English tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn writing mechanics and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding capitalization and punctuation rules and usage, spelling words that sound alike or any other writing mechanics topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their English learning
- Prefer learning English visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their writing mechanics unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in preparing for the NY Regents Exam - Comprehensive English
- Don't have access to their English teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning writing mechanics simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live English tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn writing mechanics on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Discuss capitalization rules in writing.
- Describe the proper use of periods, commas, colons and semicolons.
- Take a look at examples of commonly confused words in English.
- Understand the proper use of various punctuation marks, such as question marks, exclamation points, parentheses, ellipses and hyphens.
- Learn the different spellings of various homonyms and homophones.
1. Capitalization Rules in Writing
Capitalization is a very important concept in standard grammar in the written form of the English language. Watch this video lesson to learn what capitalization is and when to use it.
2. Punctuation: Using Colons, Semicolons & Periods
Periods, colons, and semicolons all have the ability to stop a sentence in its tracks, but for very different purposes. In this lesson, learn how and why we use them in our writing.
3. Commas: Correct Usage & Basic Rules
Think that you know commas? You may be surprised. Even the most experienced writers have problems remembering all the rules. Learn the basics of comma usage in this first of two lessons on the comma.
4. Comma Usage: Avoid Confusion in Clauses & Contrasting Sentence Parts
Learn more about comma usage from the pros! There are just too many ways to use the comma (it's a basic punctuation mark, after all) to fit in one sentence. Watch here to learn about some of the more common traps students fall into when trying to put commas in the right place.
5. Commonly Confused Words in English
Is it 'accept' or 'except?' 'Affect' or 'effect?' How do you know when to use 'there,' 'their,' or 'they're?' Watch this video lesson to learn about some confusing words in English and how to properly use each one.
6. Spelling: Words That Sound Alike (Homonyms & Homophones)
Watch this lesson to learn to differentiate between words that sound alike but may be spelled differently. We'll specifically look at homonyms, homographs, and homophones.
7. Spelling Mistakes: Common Examples & Overview
Learn about some of the most common types of spelling mistakes and how to correct them. Read the lesson and take a brief quiz to test your new skills.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Comprehensive English: Tutoring Solution course
- Sentence Structure: Elements of Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- Sentence Structure - Understanding Grammar: Tutoring Solution
- Usage in English: Tutoring Solution
- Organization: Tutoring Solution
- Essay Basics: Types of Essay: Tutoring Solution
- Essay Basics: Writing an Essay: Tutoring Solution
- The Writing Process: Development & Planning: Tutoring Solution
- The Writing Process: Writing & Structuring an Essay: Tutoring Solution
- The Writing Process: Revision & Improving Your Essay: Tutoring Solution
- Reading & Understanding Essays: Tutoring Solution
- Interpreting Theme & Meaning: Tutoring Solution
- Figurative Language: Tutoring Solution
- Examples of Literary Analysis: Tutoring Solution