About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering material for the SAT will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn higher scores. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding how essays are structured
- Need an efficient way to learn about parts of an essay
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers
- Missed class time and need to catch up
- Can't access extra SAT review resources at school
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the parts of an essay chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the essay parts chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question about the parts of an essay. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answer to questions including:
- How do I organize an essay?
- How can I write a strong thesis?
- What are some ways to capture an audience?
- How should I structure a 5-paragraph essay?
- What are some tips for writing a strong essay body?
- How should I structure paragraphs in an essay?
1. Basic Essay Structure: The Five-Paragraph Essay
Working with an established essay structure provides writers with the necessary elements of a successful essay. In this lesson, we'll work through the drafting process for the five-paragraph essay and make note of important dos and don'ts.
2. How to Organize an Essay
In this video, we will cover the steps involved in organizing an essay. We'll talk about titles, introductory paragraphs, concluding paragraphs, main points, transition statements and editing.
3. Essay Introduction: Write a Thesis and Capture Your Audience
We'll look at the importance of the introductory paragraph and engaging your audience through the use of attention getters, a bridge, and an arguable thesis. Three of the most common attention getters are specifically defined, and examples are provided in this lesson.
4. Writing: Main Idea, Thesis Statement & Topic Sentences
What exactly is your essay about? Writing great thesis statements and topic sentences that align with your main idea will help readers to understand the theme, ideas, and central focus of your essay.
5. How to Write a Thesis Statement
Find yourself confounded by thesis statements? Writing an excellent thesis statement doesn't require magic or luck, but it does require a few key elements we'll lay out for you in the lesson that follows.
6. How to Write a Strong Essay Body
This video will show you how to achieve unified, coherent body paragraphs in your essays. By creating well-developed body paragraphs, your essays will be cleaner, sharper and earn you a better grade!
7. How to Structure Paragraphs in an Essay
When structuring a paragraph, you shouldn't just go throwing together a few sentences. The sentences that make up a paragraph should all flow together and represent the same topic to make up a strong paragraph. This video explains how to put together your sentences and paragraphs to maximize their impact.
8. How to Write and Use Transition Sentences
Like a road map, transitions guide readers through your essay. This lesson examines the way writers transition between sentences, within paragraphs and between paragraphs to make for a smooth reading experience.
9. How To Write Effective Conclusions: Importance and Elements
Follow this easy method to write a wonderful conclusion to your paper. Here you will find everything you need, including some most excellent writing tips!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 220 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Prep: Help and Review course
- SAT - About the Test: Help and Review
- SAT Test Prep: General Info
- Writing - About the Writing Section: Help and Review
- Writing - Text & Argument Analysis: Help and Review
- Writing - Word Choice & Expression: Help and Review
- Writing - Standard English Grammar: Help and Review
- Writing - Writing & Language Test Practice: Help and Review
- Writing - The Essay Portion: Help and Review
- Writing - Planning & Writing An Essay: Help and Review
- Writing - Sentence Clarity and Structure: Help and Review
- Writing - Essay Writing Skills: Help and Review
- Writing - How to Write an Argument: Help and Review
- Writing - Supporting Your Writing: Help and Review
- Writing - Revising Your Writing: Help and Review
- Writing - Grammar and Usage: Help and Review
- Reading - About the Reading Section: Help and Review
- Reading - Sentence Completions: Help and Review
- Reading - Reading Passages: Help and Review
- Reading - Understanding Reading Passages: Help and Review
- Reading - Interpreting & Analyzing Text: Help and Review
- Reading - Mastering Reading Passages: Help and Review
- Reading - Literary Terms: Help and Review
- Reading - US Documents & Speeches: Help and Review
- Math - About the Math Section: Help and Review
- Math - Numbers and Operations: Help and Review
- Math - Exponents: Help and Review
- Math - Equations and Expressions: Help and Review
- Math - Rational Equations & Expressions: Help and Review
- Math - Inequalities: Help and Review
- Math - Functions: Help and Review
- Math - Quadratic Equations: Help and Review
- Math - Ratios, Rates & Proportional Relationships: Help and Review
- Math - Unit Rate & Measurement Conversions: Help and Review
- Math - Geometry and Measurement: Help and Review
- Math - Triangles & Trigonometric Ratios: Help and Review
- Math - Data Analysis, Statistics & Probability: Help and Review
- SAT Vocabulary Practice