About This Chapter
Writing Research Papers - Chapter Summary
If you need to improve your research paper writing skills, consult these brief but informative English composition lessons. Inside the chapter, our expert instructors help you structure an essay properly and apply all of the components that are needed in a quality essay, such as the thesis statement, essay body and conclusion. After completing a lesson, take the accompanying self-assessment quiz to reinforce the information you've studied. If you get stuck or have a question, our instructors are happy to help. Your course Dashboard keeps track of your progress throughout the chapter, and you can study at any time that's convenient. By the end of the chapter, you'll be equipped to:
- Write a quality research paper
- Outline the five-paragraph essay structure
- Develop a strong introductory paragraph and thesis
- Understand the necessary components of an effective thesis statement
- Explain how your main idea and topic sentences can help readers understand your essay's focus
- Know how to write strong essay body paragraphs and conclusions
- Use examples and evidence in your essays
1. How to Write a Research Paper
Ever struggle to write a research paper? Don't know where to begin? Watch this lesson to learn a simple, reliable method for writing a thorough research paper about a specific topic.
2. Basic Essay Structure: The Five-Paragraph Essay
Working with an established essay structure provides writers with the necessary elements of a successful essay. In this lesson, we'll work through the drafting process for the five-paragraph essay and make note of important dos and don'ts.
3. Essay Introduction: Write a Thesis and Capture Your Audience
We'll look at the importance of the introductory paragraph and engaging your audience through the use of attention getters, a bridge, and an arguable thesis. Three of the most common attention getters are specifically defined, and examples are provided in this lesson.
4. Thesis Development: Steps and Instructions
One of the most important components of a successful academic essay is a strong thesis statement. Learn how to construct an effective thesis statement for a persuasive essay by watching this lesson.
5. Thesis Statement Examples for Research Papers
A thesis statement can be the thing that makes or breaks your research paper. This lesson will give you some examples of good thesis statements as well as an explanation of how they work in the context of a paper.
6. Writing: Main Idea, Thesis Statement & Topic Sentences
What exactly is your essay about? Writing great thesis statements and topic sentences that align with your main idea will help readers to understand the theme, ideas, and central focus of your essay.
7. How to Write a Strong Essay Body
This video will show you how to achieve unified, coherent body paragraphs in your essays. By creating well-developed body paragraphs, your essays will be cleaner, sharper and earn you a better grade!
8. How To Write Effective Conclusions: Importance and Elements
Follow this easy method to write a wonderful conclusion to your paper. Here you will find everything you need, including some most excellent writing tips!
9. Supporting Your Writing with Examples and Evidence
Watch this lesson to learn how to make strong arguments and write better papers by using evidence effectively. It's not just about piling on a bunch of facts!
10. Research Paper Example for College Composition II
After writing a research proposal you will need to write the research paper. This lesson offers a shortened example of the research paper with an explanation of what it does well.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the English 105: College Composition II course