About This Chapter
Writing Skills Instruction - Chapter Summary
This chapter offers a fun and informative examination of strategies educators use to teach writing skills to ELL students. Get reacquainted with best practices for helping students develop skills for different forms of writing and also examine ways to ensure students understand how to structure their writing. Upon completion of this chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- List techniques for teaching beginning writing skills to ELL students
- Share strategies for teaching sentence structure to ELL students
- Offer tips for instructing ESL students on paragraph structure
- Give strategies for educating ELL students on narrative writing
- Provide techniques for instructing ELL students on expository writing
- Discuss best practices for teaching ELL students persuasive writing
Enjoy a self-paced format that empowers you to take control of your studying process. Feel free to review all the lessons in your sequence or choice, or select only the lessons that can help you best strengthen your understanding of writing skills instruction. Accompanying each lesson is a short quiz you can take at your convenience to find out how well you understand the topics covered. Use our Dashboard to keep track of your progress, quickly revisit specific portions of this chapter and send any questions you have about lesson topics to our experts.
1. Teaching Beginning Writing Skills to ELL Students
Teaching writing to beginning English language learners (ELLs) requires a variety of skills. This lesson lays out strategies, tips, and techniques for reaching this impressionable audience.
2. Teaching Sentence Structure to ELL Students
When English language learners (ELLs) understand the foundations of good writing, they are in a better position to excel academically. This lesson provides teachers with strategies they can use to teach sentence structure and formation to ELLs.
3. Teaching Paragraph Structure to ESL Students
The purpose of this lesson is to share strategies to help English language learners create strong paragraphs. We'll also discuss some tips to help guide the paragraph writing process.
4. Teaching ELL Students Narrative Writing
While sometimes overlooked, narrative writing can be a valuable academic tool in an ELL classroom. This lesson outlines how teachers can use narrative writing to enhance and improve ELL writing skills and understanding.
5. Teaching ELL Students Expository Writing
Since writing is an active skill, your ELL students may view it as a huge challenge. This lesson gives you some ideas to introduce and promote expository writing skills among your students.
6. Teaching ELL Students Persuasive Writing
Being a good writer requires many different skills. This lesson discusses methods and strategies teachers can use to teach persuasive writing to ELLs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the FTCE ESOL K-12 (047): Practice & Study Guide course
- Cultural Elements & Adaptation
- How Cultural Differences Impact Students
- Promoting Multicultural Sensitivity & Diversity in the Classroom
- Elements of Language
- Teaching Components of Language for ELL
- Second Language Acquisition & Development
- Language Functions, Skills & Proficiency
- Second Language Literacy Development
- Literacy & Language Research
- Models of ELL Instruction
- ESOL Instructional Approaches
- Teaching Speaking & Listening Skills
- Instructional Strategies for ELL Classrooms
- Selecting & Adapting Instructional Materials for ELL Students
- Technology in ELL Instruction
- ELL Rights & Court Cases in Florida
- ELL Assessment Issues
- ELL Learners with Exceptionalities
- Language Proficiency Assessments in Florida
- Classroom-Based Assessments of ELL Students
- Collaboration & Advocacy for ELL
- Professional Development Organizations & Resources for ESOL Teachers
- FTCE ESOL K-12 Flashcards