About This Chapter
Writing & Solving Multi-Step Equations - Chapter Summary
Study the lessons in this chapter to practice writing and solving equations that require multiple steps. Inside the chapter, you'll find short lessons that outline the steps that are needed to solve equations that contain more than one variable. By the end of the chapter, you'll be able to solve the following types of equations/word problems that have two or more variables:
To get practice solving multi-step equations, take the accompanying self-assessment quiz that follows each lesson. Your course Dashboard keeps track of your quiz scores, as well as your progress throughout the chapter. You can submit questions to our instructors if you get stuck and study these lessons on any computer or mobile device.
1. Solving Addition Equations with Two or More Variables
After watching this video lesson, you will know how to set up and solve addition problems where you have two or more variables. You will learn what steps you need to take to solve for each variable.
2. Solving Addition Word Problems with Two or More Variables
After watching this video lesson, you will learn how to solve addition word problems that involve two or more variables. Learn what it takes to come up with your equations, how many equations you need, and how to solve them.
3. Solving Subtraction Equations with Two or More Variables
After watching this lesson, you'll be able to solve subtraction problems that involve more than one variable and more than one equation. Learn what steps you need to take and how to work with your equations.
4. Solving Subtraction Word Problems with Two or More Variables
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve word problems that involve the subtraction operation and more than one unknown value. Learn how many equations you will need to create and how to solve them.
5. Solving Multiplication Equations with Two or More Variables
After watching this video lesson, you should be able to solve multiplication problems with more than one variable. Learn how many equations you will need to solve your problem. Learn how the number of variables determines the number of equations.
6. Solving Multiplication Word Problems with Two or More Variables
After viewing this video lesson on how to solve multiplication word problems, you will know how many equations you need to work with for each problem as well as how to solve them. You will also have a chance to practice what you learned with a quiz.
7. Solving Division Equations with Two or More Variables
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve division problems with more than one variable. Learn how many equations are needed to solve your problem depending on the number of variables you have.
8. Solving Division Word Problems with Two or More Variables
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can solve division word problems that involve more than one variable. Learn how many equations you need to be able to solve your problem.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Accuplacer Math: Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics Placement Test Study Guide course
- Computation with Integers
- Negative Numbers
- Absolute Value
- Solving & Graphing Rational Numbers
- Proportions, Ratios & Averages
- Simplifying Algebraic Fractions
- Rational Roots
- Working with Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- Solving & Graphing Linear Equations
- Overview of Inequalities
- Systems of Equations & Inequalities
- Algebraic Word Problems
- Fundamental Algebraic Expressions
- Algebraic Distribution
- Writing Algebraic Expressions
- Writing & Solving One-Step Equations
- Probability, Chance & Fundamental Counting Techniques
- Interpreting Visual Displays of Data
- Basic Geometry Calculations
- Pythagorean Theorem
- Coordinate & Transformational Geometry
- Accuplacer Math: Quantitative Reasoning, Algebra, and Statistics Placement Test Flashcards